cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus H510 antenna pattern and placement

lukas_bohm
New Contributor II
Hello all, i got a question about Ruckus H510 wall AP. I found antenna patterns here: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000002093/download and what isn't clear for me - is antenna pattern for AP mounted on a wall ( as should be ) or on the ceilling.

So if i have this AP on a wall, is behind AP  same signal strength ( if i am not considering wall attenuation ) ? Is that antenna pattern for AP mounted on the wall or on the ceiling?

Thanks
Lucas
16 REPLIES 16

Chris, I wouldn't worry too much about it being behind the TV then - I've done a few deployments with Aruba's equivalent of these APs, and in such a small space to cover, the TV is not a significant factor (most TVs have an aluminum backplate to the display element, which will tend to reflect the signal rather than attenuate it.).

The key difference between the Aruba and the Ruckus (from an antenna propagation standpoint) is that the plastic mounting option behind the Aruba tends to provide more coverage behind the AP, whereas the metal plate on the Ruckus will make it more directional... although there's still a big heat sink on the Aruba, and any commercial setting will be mounting to metal boxes, so the difference is probably less pronounced. 

Are you doing one per room or are there one every 2 rooms ?

I would try as much as possible to get the h510 "closer" to the edge of the TV. If it's a very large TV it could attenuate a fair bit.

Given you're using an ont (is this commscope fiber solution with power-over-fiber?) Do you need the additional Ethernet connectors of the h510? Cause maybe it might be more efficient to put an R320 for example of you don't need additional Ethernet connections and it can be powered by a simple 12v supply instead of 48v.

As for testing as Michael suggests maybe not real world conditions but at least try the AP behind a TV of similar size.