cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Smart-Roam vs BSS-Minrate

raka_andrean_ha
New Contributor III
Anyone can tell me the differences between Smart-Roam and BSS-Minrate?
Because I have a issue in my WLAN, my customer has a device that connect AP R150 from the different floor, although in the same floor AP R150 has a signal good and when I have tried the AP R150 is not problem. And can I use the feature Smart-roam and BSS-Minrate for solving this issue
4 REPLIES 4

jeff_roback
New Contributor III
I know this is old... but in case anyone comes across it while searching, we had a pretty good discussion of this here:
https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/bss_minrate_vs_smart_roam

Vineet_nejwala
Hello Raka and Jeff,

The simple way of understanding both is that they are used for client roaming purpose.

Smart-roam : It is a set defined signal threshold for client on AP below which AP would kick the client to search for another AP with better signal.

BSS-minrate : This is to set the management frame rate of AP, increasing BSS-minrate means shrinking the coverage area of the AP.  By increasing the default bss-minrate, clients must be closer to an AP in order to use the higher data rates, and thus will be more likely to roam when an AP with better signal strength is seen.

Best Regards
Vineet

jeff_roback
New Contributor III
Thanks for this, that makes sense.    Smart-Roam is forcing roam at the AP side, BSS-Minrate is encouraging the client to roam sooner.

In the past we've had problems with Smart-Roam and IOS devices where the IOS device wouldn't re-connect after a smart-roam induced disconnection.  Has anyone here had experience one way or the other recently?

Also, can anyone speak to the availability of smart-roam in Cloud managed APs?

Vineet_nejwala
Hello Jeff,

If the iOS client is connected to 802.1X wlan and having issue try tweaking the 802.11r settings (disable/enable). For smart roam config you can enable it on the AP basis, kindly reach out to Ruckus TAC and they could assist you with executing below command on AP level.

set roam_enable enable

set roam_factor <1..10>

Apart from this to perform efficient scanning to find a roaming candidate, the 802.11k neighbor reports setting can be enabled in the advanced network settings. The 802.11k standard allows an administrator to enable neighbor report functionality on all APs advertising the network. Neighbor reports help a wireless client to efficiently scan for a target AP when roaming.

Best Regards
Vineet