cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus H510 antenna pattern and placement

lukas_bohm
New Contributor II
Hello all, i got a question about Ruckus H510 wall AP. I found antenna patterns here: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000002093/download and what isn't clear for me - is antenna pattern for AP mounted on a wall ( as should be ) or on the ceilling.

So if i have this AP on a wall, is behind AP  same signal strength ( if i am not considering wall attenuation ) ? Is that antenna pattern for AP mounted on the wall or on the ceiling?

Thanks
Lucas
16 REPLIES 16

We are deploying H510's in many of our projects and the Designers want to place the units behind the flat panel TV's. Is there a best practice around placement of AP behind case work and TV's from a performance perspective?

As long as you account for the attenuation in your design and have a modicum of airflow around it there shouldn't be an issue, I have placed some behind bookcases and behind TVs without significant ill effects. In most use cases for these type of APs, you're running at low power anyway. 

Ian, thanks for the comments. We will be deploying the H510 along side an ONT to support our GPON network. Neither unit produces significant heat so we should be fine. I was more concerned about performance, we will be placing a AP per room in this project.

Can you test it?  I've seen TV/Video Screens that could affect RF and client throughput, and would recommend to not place the APs behind them... if other options are possible.

Michael, Testing it in real world conditions today is not going to happen. I was looking for some use cases that would support this type of installation. I have placed the H510 successfully behind case work and concealed next to the FCU in the overhead, but never behind a flat panel TV.