cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus H510 antenna pattern and placement

lukas_bohm
New Contributor II
Hello all, i got a question about Ruckus H510 wall AP. I found antenna patterns here: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000002093/download and what isn't clear for me - is antenna pattern for AP mounted on a wall ( as should be ) or on the ceilling.

So if i have this AP on a wall, is behind AP  same signal strength ( if i am not considering wall attenuation ) ? Is that antenna pattern for AP mounted on the wall or on the ceiling?

Thanks
Lucas
16 REPLIES 16

lukas_bohm
New Contributor II
Hello Michael,  thank you for your answer. I am Ruckus Partner ( very small partner with very short partnership - only couple weeks ). I am doing project with H510 's first time, and want best solution for customer.  That's why i asked questions about H510 radiation pattern. I asked these questions Ruckus Support, Ruckus Sales Engineers, Ruckus Distributor and here in Ruckus forum. Because it's big difference between H510 on the wall when AZ pattern is for horizontal plane and EL pattern is for vertical plane (  then one AP can cover 360  degrees on one floor, not only room because that AP can then radiate with the same energy behind itself through the wall on which that AP is) In this situation i can put this AP anywhere on the wall in the room and i can  easily cover  another room through one wall ... and between situation when AZ and EL pattern are reversed between self, so AZ is for vertical plane and EL is for horizontal plane.  Because then this AP would only cover front direction and very weakly behind itself.  And then i would need different type of AP for this project. ( any ceiling mounted AP like R310, R510 ... ).  Michael, please could you give me clear answer for this?   I don't have H510 in my LAB, only couple R510 and distributor hadn't H510 on the stock.  About tips for H510 placement/best practices etc .. is up to you post some tips if you know any. If you could,  then anybody can read in this topic an follow them. For sure i don't want that you would do anything  in this project instead of me. Sorry for a long post. Thank You very much for your answer.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hello Luc,

I've spoken to our Indoor AP product line manager and obtained a slide from his
presentation.  Due to our patented BeamFlex in addition to MU-MIMO capabilities,
the horizontal or vertical orientation of the H510 on your wall will not impact coverage.
They are designed for single room coverage, so cannot guarentee what connection
rates will be in the adjacent room behind the AP, if you place them in the middle,
between two rooms.

Image_ images_messages_5f91c43f135b77e2479e1b32_2de5db5e0cead7a8345752a863cde756_20100nx07ef_inline-a0af743b-b15e-41bb-b44b-aea65caaf156-1871480682.png1504028390

shari_carroll_4
New Contributor
Hi Michael, I have a question about the H510 installed in a room like shown below...

Image_ images_messages_5f91c436135b77e2479c02e2_838a540982a3c14edcdc7285fd2491b2_RackMultipart201802268391610aq-2fe51369-7d72-4507-9027-540dc3e9add9-2072711469.jpg1519670399
Will this hinder the signal and throughput for this room? It was originally requested that the AP be placed on the wall, but they changed at at the last minute and placed it here.

That's going to be problematic for anyone below the base of the AP. Imagine the coverage as roughly a hemisphere. This is basically omni on the front, and little to no coverage to the rear. You *could* put it on a ceiling and get decent results. 

Are you trying to cover the room next door? (behind the other wall?) its a bit tricky to know for sure.. Any client on " this" room (that can see the AP) should have no problem whatsoever with getting good coverage from this AP, unless its really high up in the ceiling and you're down below.. very close it it.

I regularly use the H510 and H320s and can cover almost 3 rooms with no problem in signal. Two rooms facing "forward"  and one room facing backwards when the AP is mounted against a wall.