cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R710 spontaneously rebooting after beeing upgraded to latest firmware

andy_amattaram
New Contributor II

We have the issue that our R710 AP's spontaneously rebooting once in a while, after upgrading to version vSZ 5.1.1.0.598
This occurs randomly on our AP's

In the AP log info I found an error because of a power cycle, but we haven't got any changes on our switch plan
Before the upgrade our whole wifi plan was running stable.

We need this upgrade because of the support for our R730 AP's, so downgrading isn't an option for us.

Does anyone else experienced the same issue(s) and perhaps have a solution for this matter?

6 REPLIES 6

Ankush_Chandan
RUCKUS Team Member
Hi Andy,

Is this issue is specific to R710 AP's ?
How many R710's you have in total and how many of them have seen this issue?
Can you try creating a test AP zone and change to zone firmware to the previous version where no such issues were reported?
If reverting AP's to a zone with previous version stabilize them, then we could relate it to firmware related issues.

Regards,
-Ankush

Hi Ankush,

Thank you for responding 🙂

We've only implemented the R710 in our WIFI enviroment.
We have installed 158 AP's over 7 locations/buildings of our organisation

About how many in total... that's the difficulty, it occurs randomly.
In the last two days it occurred on about 10 AP's  overall.
Normally the system doesn't behave like this.
Our switches does support 802.3 at

I can set up a test zone, but we need the new version for our R730

The AP's that had issues yesterday were functioning stable today

But you haven't heard about this issue from other users?

Thank you for sharing this info.

In the last two days it occurred on about 10 AP's overall.
Question: Is anything common between these AP's, like same POE switch, same location, subnet etc? Have these APs rebooted more than once since upgrade?

Our switches does support 802.3 at
Question: Have you seen any fluctuation in the power budget.

I can set up a test zone, but we need the new version for our R730
Answer: vSZ allows us to create multiple zones and in case you have upgraded the vSZ (as you did), it allows us to choose different firmware versions for each zone.
Image_ images_messages_5f91c485135b77e247acea52_f4003fb9b04be4b76d75a6ba9b707f31_RackMultipart201906069906314hv-aab04bc9-ed73-4913-bbe8-f44e73197583-410047518.png1559831760

I have checked internally and there are no such issues reported of AP reboot due to power cycle. So best way to investigate is to move these AP's to the older version and monitor their behavior. And if they run stable, then you can open a support case to investigate this further.

Regards,
-Ankush

andy_amattaram
New Contributor II
Hi Ankush,

"Is anything common between these AP's, like same POE switch, same location, subnet etc? Have these APs rebooted more than once since upgrade?"

All of our AP's our running 5.1.1.0.624 and all are connected on a HPE 5130 POE+ switch.... They're functioning in the same subnet but on different locations.
For now it's a different AP rebooting, not the same.

These are events of the last 5 days.
I noticed that the alarms gives the following reasons as major....6 AP's reboot because of a system fault and 7 AP's reboot due to a firmware change.
About the last 7 AP's (firmware change), I upgraded the system alsmost a month ago, could there be some delay in completing the upgrade???
In the console all the AP firmware was displaying 5.1.1.0.624 a month ago and it still does of course.
Could it be that the whole plan is still completing it's new firmware install???After a month??

We haven't noticed fluctuation on the POE ports on our switches.

Thnx again!

Regards

Andy