Did you mean: 

How to set up VLAN with new Ruckus hardware

thomas_engelman
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

we just built a house and we have the following network components:

• Netgear R7800 router with OpenWRT

• Ruckus ICX7150-C12P switch

• 2x Ruckus R320 APs (one on each level)

I am completely new to Ruckus, VLANs and OpenWRT. My target is to have two VLANs, one for IOT/HomeKit components (we will go with Apple HomeKit for home automation) and the other one for laptops. Both VLANs should be independently from another with the exception of Homekit and Homebridge (I run Homebridge on a QNAP NAS). I also want to be able to limit the internet access for single IOT components for privacy purposes.

In a second step I would like to channel selected components through Wireguard VPN on the router.

What have I done so far:

1. Got the setup working without VLANs etc.

2. Set up the separate Wi-Fis (one for default and one for IOT).

3. I gave the IOT W-Fi the VLAN ID 2 and the default one has 1 by default.

4. I tagged the ports for the APs and the one for the router as tagged in VLAN 2 and left them as untagged in VLAN 1.

This is where the problems starts and I am stuck. VLAN 2 components do not have access to the internet anymore. I already watched a bunch of videos and read through the forum, but I was not able to get it set up properly. It would be great, if you guys could enlighten me some.

Thanks a lot in advance!

15 REPLIES 15

OK, I got the router image installed and "working" - baby steps. Still issues:

1. I cannot log into the switch with ssh anymore. The serial port works well, but is in another room. Would like to log-in via any ssh device again

2. I added the interface that @vijay recommended, but still no internet. I assume still an DHCP issue, as the DHCP server runs on the OpenWRT router. I already added the router as the ip route to the VLAN, so not sure which problem remains.

3. Internet is slower than before now in VLAN 1. I assume something is wrong with the routing, although I did not change something there, as I wanted to have one network untouched and working.

Thanks again!

Hi Thomas,

Problem 1: 

Use this 

vlan 1 Route
router-interface ve 1
tag "interface connecting to wrt"

interface ve 1
ip adress 192.168.1.X/24

Try to SSH this IP and see it if works, once you will be able to ping  the switch from WRT network.

once problem 1 is solved.

2: Config the DHCP on the switch just to verify if you are getting IP address on the SSIDs.

Vijay Kuniyal

Vijay Kuniyal

Staff Technical Support Engineer

CCNA RnS | CCNA Wireless | CWNA | RASZA | Meraki CMNO | RACPA

@Vijay_Kuniyal Thanks again! Probably a stupid question. Would you recommend to use the switch as the dhcp Server or the router. At the moment it is the router.

@thomas_engelmann

Doesn't matter, but better on the Switch as the gateway for the vlans are on the Switch itself.

Vijay Kuniyal

Staff Technical Support Engineer

CCNA RnS | CCNA Wireless | CWNA | RASZA | Meraki CMNO | RACPA

thomas_engelman
New Contributor III

It seems like I got everything set up properly now. There was also quite a big portion of config necessary on the OpenWRT router side necessary.

@Vijay_Kuniyal Thanks so much for your help!