cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to setup VLANs on R600 unleashed

guest_stonecali
New Contributor II
I'm trying to setup 4 R600 Unleashed access points with multiple VLANs. The APs have been assigned static IPs on the default LAN.  I will be creating 6 different SSIDs, each with its own DHCP scope if not VLAN. The clients will receive IPs via DHCP relay.  Where in the Unleashed setup do I create the VLANs and associate them with their SSIDs?

Thanks,
BJ
18 REPLIES 18

How are your switch ports setup? The link port from Router>Switch should be "trunked".  Your Master VLAN (ex. 1) should be UNTAGGED, and then your additional VLAN's should be TAGGED on the same switch ports. Let your Master AP adopt additional WAP's on default VLAN 1 and then edit your SSID's with corresponding VLAN ids. Image_ images_messages_5f91c479135b77e247aad704_c8f7555ab6bfa598ac98aae2844ce466_RackMultipart201611111031841sd-15a25ac4-b813-4f0f-915f-9c6153efe95e-762321131.png1478827597

guest_stonecali
New Contributor II
Thank you MLG.  

The 2 ports connected to the APs are both trunked, as will be the ports for the other 2.  I just reset all of the SSID VLAN IDs to 1, the default untagged VLAN, and factory reset the 2nd access point.

Unfortunately, the master AP is still not detecting the 2nd AP, which has been assigned a dynamic IP on the default LAN (I can see this in my firewall/router).  I configured the master AP with a static IP within the LAN scope (x.2 - x.62) but outside the DHCP range (x.2 - x.40).  Could that be affecting the auto-configuration?

I'm recommending you assign tagged and untagged VLANS on your switch ports, not TRUNK. Router>(TRUNK)(untagged VLAN1, tagged VLAN2, etc)
*Just realized my photo might have been confusing

guest_stonecali
New Contributor II
Yes, I'm using Cisco switches.  My topology is router>(Trunk)>Switch>(Trunk2, untagged VLAN1, tagged VLAN2, etc.)>WAP.

As you know the Cisco requires a port with tagged and untagged traffic to be configured as a trunk port so that's how I've configured the ports connected to the WAPs.

I've upgraded the software on the 2nd access point but it's still asking me if I'm connected to Configure.me wirelessly.  When I clicked next, the page timed out...

and when refreshed the page, it took me to the static IP of the master AP and now shows 2 access points connected!  Great success!

Yea, Cisco have a unique way of classifying their Trunk/Tagging and unfortunately I have little experience with Cisco. When you say the 2nd AP is trying to setup as a Master, what behavior indicates so?