cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Unleashed mesh work on R320?

bhusan_gupta
New Contributor III

I think that the answer is no, but before concluding that, I thought to ask the Ruckus brain trust.

I have an existing R750-based (x3) Unleashed network (mesh-enabled, but all APs are wired). I have added a R320 wired first and it joins the AP group without issue. When I disconnect the ethernet which should force it to RF mesh, it stays disconnected. So my strong suspicion is that it cannot be a mesh Unleashed AP (the config page for this AP does state that Mesh status is not supported). Unfortunately there is no documentation that I have found that explicitly states that (as there is for the R310 and H320). I just wanted to confirm that I will need a different AP to mesh Unleashed.

11 REPLIES 11

The list I provided you above is a definitive list of APs that do not support SmartMesh.

The Unleashed document is there to tell you which AP models support Unleashed as some current APs do not.

Therefore if you take away the R310, R320 and H320 from the APs in the Unleashed portfolio, all others support SmartMesh.

Thanks,
Darrel.

Got it, given what you wrote, my quest is done. 

Hello Guys, could you ask a question?

Can an R320 be unleashed with R310?

In the datasheet the R320 can support up to 128 devices, and the R310 only 25.

Is it possible to configure an R320 as a 100 R310 controller, for example?

In case of R320 Failure, must there be another R320 in the same topology to take over as Controller?

Hi,

It is possible to mix and match AP types in a single Unleashed network, however you will be limited as to which software version is supported by the older APs.  E.g. R310 supports up to Unleashed 200.7, so this will be the latest version you can run on a mixed R310/R320 network, even though the R320 can support upto the latest version (i.e. 200.9 currently).

Also the Unleashed network capacity is limited to its lowest performance member.  So if you include R310 APs in your Unleashed network you will be limited to 50 APs, as per the release notes of version 200.7.

I hope that helps,

Darrel.

Hi, Darrel!

Yes, it did. My question now is that the R310 displays the following message "Maximum 25 APs support". Is it 25 or 50, as you mentioned?

Thanks.