cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used R510 - No Webui or SSH Access

trevork
New Contributor

Good day, 

Acquired a pair of R510's, both should still be working.

Customer's previous IT had them both working.  2.4 and 5.0 GHz lights lit up, no other Ruckus equipment or software onsite.  Powered via POE Injectors.

We did not have admin access on these devices, customer replaced them with Meraki devices.  Why replace perfectly good APs?  "Previous IT".

At this point, trying to flatten them to factory and repurpose them, but having severe issues.

Powered via POE Injector - no internet/LAN access, no DHCP (just getting power).

Laptop plugged into wired connection

Laptop wired connection set to: IP: 192.168.0.22, SM: 255.255.255.0, GW: 192.168.0.1, DNS: 192.168.0.1

Can Ping 192.168.0.1

Cannot access webui (192.168.0.1 / unleashed.ruckuswireless.com)

Cannot SSH to device (IP or DNS name)

Disconnect network cable from laptop

Connect to Configure.ME-XXXXXX network - get a 10.154.231.148 IP, with gateway of 10.154.231.125

Can ping 192.168.0.1

Can ping 10.154.231.125

Cannot access webui (192.168.0.1 / 10.154.231.125 / unleashed.ruckuswireless.com)

Cannot SSH to device (192.168.0.1 / 10.154.231.125)

Attempts to access WebUI are via Edge, Chrome, and FireFox.

Hold reset button until power LED turns red (About 8 seconds) - release - wait for reboot to complete (slow flashing green)

Repeat all of the above - no impact

Wait 10 minutes to ensure it's not delayed boot sequence - repeat all of the above - no impact

Hold reset button for 15 seconds (LED red but still holding) - release - wait for reboot to complete (slow flashing green)

Repeat all of the above - no impact

Wait 10 minutes to ensure it's not delayed boot sequence - repeat all of the above - no impact

I've done all of the above with AP1.

AP2: I can access webUI, but not log in - previous IT had changed the password, and we do not have access to that password.

I can process all of the above with AP2, not sure if that's ideal at this stage or not.

Any thoughts?

I've dug through a little documentation here through the forums, and some people seemed to have had the same issues / cases, but they tended to disappear / stop responding at some point.

2 REPLIES 2

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

I definitely recommend checking if you can reset the second AP to factory settings using reset button.

If still no success, you need to open a support case with Ruckus. I see 2 possibilities:

1 -- APs have somehow half-broken firmware and need to be RMAed.

2 -- APs are from some specific service provider and are locked to this service provider settings (some bigger MSPs have specific locked firmware).

I suppose Ruckus support will be able to say by s/n if this is a case and will assist if it is a software/hardware problem - to RMA as a last effort.

If AP is locked by MSP, then you are probably doomed, as Ruckus support will not help you reset it or RMA it, as such APs are not expected to be available for public use, but only as a part of service, so only MSP can request RMA for them. 

I would say also that decision of replacing all IT by "full Cisco solution" has been seen in some cases of IT team change, and has nothing with the quality of previous solutions, but is a result of personal connections of new management with Cisco sales staff and will to spend a lot of money.

And there is no dispute that for WiFi migration from Ruckus to Meraki is not an improvement even if you replace 5-year-old Ruckus APs by the newest Meraki.

In a good condition Meraki even works, but in difficult RF conditions, it is a bit different story.

One more idea -- ask "previous admin" about IP settings and credentials for APs. If you will be able to connect by SSH with old IP settings and credentials, you'll probably be able to reset AP and/or replace firmware (if it is not MSP locked version).