cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan shows multiple SSIDs for what should be one

chance_douglass
New Contributor II
I have a simple set up running with two R500s unleashed. I am not getting the through put I have come to expect from a Ruckus System. 20-30 MBps vs a 170 MBps hardwire. When I do a wifi scan I see the signal for each AP under the configured network name, but I also see a slightly weaker signal under each one with no name. I can't find anything in configuration to cause a second signal. Any ideas on what to look for? Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Do you mean megabits or megabytes? If you really mean megabytes, that's a 160-250mbit/s data rate on a 2-stream AC AP, which is believable 802.11ac performance depending on your settings.

What channelization are you using? 20, 40, or 80MHz? What kind of clients do you have? What are you using to test throughput?

(It's possible the hidden SSID you're seeing is the mesh backbone if you didn't disable mesh on the AP's. It shouldn't matter though — it ought not to have any impact on performance)

chance_douglass
New Contributor II
It is bits. I am only getting 20-30 Mbps. I will check the Mesh settings. This is from a galaxy s5. Channelization is set to auto. I am using the speed test app. In other systems I work on, I will normally get speeds equivalent to the wired connection in the home.

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Got it. I agree, that seems slow. A Galaxy S5 is a one-stream AC device, which should peak out around 150-200mbit/s on 5GHz and 30-40mbit/s on 2.4GHz.

Based off this, I would guess your Galaxy S5 is on 2.4GHz. Can you confirm via the Unleashed UI what band the device is associated to?

The S5 is on 2.4.  I can not find the option to steer it to 5GHz.  I do have the option to set percentage of clients on 2.4GHz?  Should I set it to zero?