cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus Unleashed slow speeds

adrian_minea
New Contributor II
Hi everyone, I just replaced a Draytek Wifi network with 4 Ruckus R510 acess points. The problem that I'm having is while hardwired into the switch where the access points are connected I'm getting 400-450 Mbps download and upload, I'm using a small Cisco 10P POE Switch connected straight to the router on a different VLAN. If I connect to any of the access points on WIFI I only get 200-220 Mbps, being next to the access point. I only enabled the 5G network and all the channels are set on auto. Is there anything that I can change to see if it improves the speed on WIFI ? If I was to use a Zone Director and flash the firmware, will it make any difference?
Thank you
31 REPLIES 31

I think I might be able to answer my own question. It appears that 5GHz operating in 802.3af mode runs just as well as 802.3at. The 2.4 GHz band is affected though, operating with 802.3af
  • Limits 2.4GHz to 2x4 (2-chain transmit at 22dBm aggregate power, 4-chain receive)
  • Turns off USB port
  • Turns off Ethernet 1 port
We have all our district owned wireless devices on 5GHz while all guest devices are on 2.4GHz. Since most guest devices are smartphones, limiting them to 2x4 should not be an issue. Do I have this correct?

Hi David,

If you check the data sheets on the Ruckus Access Points, you will see details of their power requirements (PoE and AC or DC) and what features are disabled in low-power mode.  As you mention; it's usually a reduction in RF chains on the 2.4GHz radio, reduction in TX power on both radios and disabling of USB port, 2nd Eth port and (if applicable) IoT radios.

R710: https://www.commscope.com/product-type/enterprise-networking/wi-fi-access-points-accessories/indoor/...
T710: https://www.commscope.com/product-type/enterprise-networking/wi-fi-access-points-accessories/outdoor...
R720: https://www.commscope.com/product-type/enterprise-networking/wi-fi-access-points-accessories/indoor/...

There are (arguable) benefits to having more spatial streams on the AP than the client, however I don't believe you'll see a major reduction in performance if you have reduced streams as mentioned above. 

However the reduced TX power on the AP radio (if any) may have more of an impact, so I would be careful with this. I would also be wary of using aggregate power for planning as this is not reliable to predict and ican be affected by other factors in the physical environment.

I hope that helps,
Darrel.

Check your settings on the Unleashed Interface. I changed the tx power from auto to full and the country code to operate for performance. I went from showing 400 AP-AP and 80 ap-client, to 400 AP-AP 375 AP-client

Check your settings on the Unleashed Interface. I changed the tx power from auto to full and the country code to operate for performance. I went from showing 400 AP-AP and 80 ap-client, to 400 AP-AP 375 AP-client

Can you tell me how to set the country code to 'operate for performance?

I've got 8 unleashed R310 and 2 unleashed R320. Where i got 200mbps on the R310, and only 75 on the R320. Firmware is the latest 200.7. Problem is I can't downgrade to 200.6, because that one is not supported on R320. So maybe the fix of setting the region code and the TX power to full will help me. 

Thanks for pointing me to the rigth setting.

Go to Admin and Services, System, Country Code, and then the performance "bubble" and click Apply.