cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus Unleashed R710: Should clients move from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz if signal is weak?

kevin_vasko
New Contributor II
Just got a R710 Unleashed AP. Everything seems to work fine but...

Typically with other APs I have had multiple SSIDs one for 2.4Ghz and one for 5Ghz clients, but that doesn't look like it is possible to set up the R710 that way with Unleashed. I was experimenting with moving out of range of the 5Ghz and letting it pick up the 2.4Ghz connection, however it doesn't ever seem to want to transition the client to the 2.4Ghz network. I have moved right to the edge of where 5Ghz is dropping out, but my client (iPhone) never gets pushed to the 2.4Ghz to get slightly better range. 

Is there something I'm missing? Is there an option I need to turn on for this? 
5 REPLIES 5

John is correct regards the clients decision. All clients see the network in a different way and make decisions to roam based on their own variables. iOS devices have triggers to roam but also triggers on assessing another network for suitability to roam so if the devices deems the alternative not suitable (even if better than current) it will not roam. Take a watch of this webinar from Ekahau & Jerome Henry talking about optimising wireless networks for iPhone. https://www.ekahau.com/blog/2017/05/29/webinar-optimize-wi-fi-network-iphone/