cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus Unleashed - Join second AP

marco_eichstet1
Contributor III

Hello,

i installed the Unleashed FW on two R500 APs.

I configured the first AP and everythink looks fine. Very Nice!

After that i connected my second R500 Unleashed AP with my local Network. The AP is not discovered or listed within my Unleashed GUI. AP got an IP from my DHCP. From my Master i am able to ping the other AP. If i try to connect to this IP via Browser the Unleashed Setup Wizard appears. "Auto approve" is enabled on my Unleashed Master.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Kind Regards
Marco

12 REPLIES 12

fluid_it
New Contributor
Wait, I have to completely rebuild my master, all WLANs on it, struggle with getting Radius to work again, and then maybe the second AP will show up and auto configure off the master?  Really?

Are their any other paths to adding AP's that relying on the autoconfiguration from the master?

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
No.  You setup the first AP, it becomes Master.  All additional APs get their configuration when they come up and see an existing Unleashed network.
The second AP in the network will become the Standby Master AP, all additional Unleashed APs join as Member APs.
And if you unplug your Master AP, the Standby Master AP immediately takes over the role of Master to any other Member APs.
You only configure/setup your initial/first Master AP with AAA servers, WLANs, etc.  Unleashed is designed with instant failover.

The missing info was that all AP's must be on the same layer 2 switch and have DHCP.  I don't run DHCP on my infrastructure (servers and network equioment) network to prevent accidental misconfigurations of ports by jr. techs from allowing access easily,  When they have to set a manual IP they know they were not suppose to be on that network. 

Once I got that info and realized there was no way to assign the static IPs I had for the AP's to them before the wizard I was able to work around the issue.

david_black_594
Contributor III
Is your wired network subnet 192.168.101.x or 192.168.50.x ?  If that's the case, you need to change to something different and the APs will then join.  Here's a link from the support knowledgebase:
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000005308

steve_lozano
New Contributor
do both AP require unleashed installed on them?