cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R600 How to get maximum throughput ?

atma_tiwana
New Contributor III

Hi ,

Just wondering what’s the best way of getting maximum throughput on the R600 wireless access point running unleashed. 

At the moment I’ve separated the 5ghz and 2.4hhz SSID’s, that way I’m guaranteed which device gets onto which speed. 

However I’m wondering if this giving me the maximum speed for 5ghz devices?

With the R600 being a 3x3, does the 5ghz client get both 5ghz streams (it’s a mobile phone and I believe most are 2x2 streams) or would it be better if i just had 1 SSID with both 2.4 and 5Ghz ?

12 REPLIES 12

neil_ticktin_io
New Contributor

Hi all, I know this is an old thread -- but it actually seems like the right place.  I have a bunch of R600's on Unleashed that I want to use in places that have very low number of users.  What I'm a bit puzzled by, however, is that despite signal (and SNR) that indicates that we would get 1300 Mbps, the most I'm seeing, without interference, and standing right in front of the AP is around 400 Mbps.  Take the same laptop and put it in front of an R750 in the same environment ... more like 950 Mbps.

Is the R600 really have a real world of more like 400 Mbps? 

Thanks!

Neil

Hello @neil_ticktin_io

Just to give brief introduction about R600 AP, this model is Wave-I (supports upto 80Mhz bandwidth) 11AC AP and capable of 3x3 radio chain and 3 spatial streams. And yes, as mentioned in the data sheet this AP can achieve max throughput of 1300 MBPS. Provided the client should support 3 Spatial streams.  

Please refer the MCS table in below link for more info about the data rate.

https://wlanprofessionals.com/mcs-table-and-how-to-use-it/

Refer below snippet, for 3 spatial steams Max Supported data rate on 80Mhz bandwidth achievable is 1300MBPS and MCS index ID is 9.

Parik_MN_0-1690438335868.png

Similarly the value you mentioned, 400MBPS is close to the Max throughput achievable which is 433 MBPS in single spatial stream on 80Mhz bandwidth client as mentioned in below snippet. The referred MCS index ID is 9.

Parik_MN_1-1690438744979.png

On the other hand R750 APs are 11AX APs and these models are no close to be compared with R600s. The client you mentioned seems like 11AX capable and throughput of 900MBPS is close to MCS 10 in single spatial stream and 160Mhz bandwidth.

Refer below link for more info:

https://mcsindex.net/

Parik_MN_2-1690439128442.png

Let me know if the explanation is helpful.

Regards,

Parik

neil_ticktin_io
New Contributor

@Parik_MN Yes -- useful. I guess more specifically -- we're using MacBook Pros with Apple Silicon. One is an M1 and one is an M2.  According to Apple, this is the level of support for both of these are in the following table. The bold, I believe, is what I should be seeing using either of these with an R600 (Unleashed if that matters), but I'm not.

Any ideas why?

802.11 standard, name, frequencyMaximum PHY data rateMaximum channel bandwidthMaximum MCS indexMaximum spatial streams

ax@6 GHz

2400 Mbps

160 MHz

11 (HE)

2/MIMO

ax@5 GHz

1200 Mbps

80 MHz

11 (HE)

2/MIMO

ac@5 GHz

866 Mbps

80 MHz

9 (VHT)

2/MIMO

a/n@5 GHz

300 Mbps

40 MHz

15 (HT)

2/MIMO

ax@2.4 GHz

195 Mbps

20 MHz

9 (HE)

2/MIMO

b/g/n@2.4 GHz

144 Mbps

20 MHz

15 (HT)

2/MIMO

Hello @neil_ticktin_io

Yes in that case the AP should support 866MBPS of Tx rate. I believe either client is negotiating only single spatial stream or the AP is on 40Mhz channel width. To know the exact MCS negotiated, please help to run below command from AP CLI and share the output.

get mcsrate <wlan-ID> <client_MAC>

Below is the example output:

rkscli: get mcsrate wlan33 de:d7:a6:28:9e:15
AP Rx Signal (dB) 60
AP Tx Data Rate 433300
AP Tx MCS MCS 9/80/1
OK

Regards,

Parik

neil_ticktin_io
New Contributor

Just trying to map the theoretical and charts to real world ... and what to do about it.