cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R500 slow troughput, high latency, high packet loss

kari_hyv_nen
New Contributor III

Hi! 
Today I upgraded our Ruckus R500 Wireless access points from web interface button to the latest (200.5.10.0.235software. After that the internal network speed is very slow. We practically cannot download anything from our file server or have skype calls or anything.

While connected to internal wlan, I get these kind of ping statistics for our access points

Ping statistics for 192.168.xxx.xxx: 
Packets: Sent = 150, Received = 138, Lost = 12 (8% loss), 
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: 
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 1166ms, Average = 804ms

It does not seem to matter, to which access point I'm connected to. Signal strength is excellent (I'm less that 10ft away from the AP), the network speed is reported between 500-1000Mbps.

However, if I connect to our Guest WLAN, I get decent speeds and can ping outside network addresses with low latencies. Problem started after the upgrade. I have rebooted all the access points, but that didnt make a difference.

I'm new to Ruckus Wireless products, is there anything else I need to do after an upgrade? I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. I've opened a support ticket, but I hope that I could get some help here more quickly.
26 REPLIES 26

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
I'm very curious, as the Unleashed version should not make any difference to client performance.
Initial authentication might be slightly slower, and you re-auth when you roam if using 802.1x but
does a client seeing a problem at one AP, see similar (poor) performance at another AP?

I always suspect RF interference and would want to see AP support info when client is connected
to determine what could be seen as "poor" performance.  What's the packet error rate, client RSSI,
transmit/receive packets, etc.

Based on my testing, the client can only ping the AP to which it's connected to. Pinging any other AP, or gateway, or any other machine in the network is very laggy ja lossy. The resulsts are similar now matter which AP I'm connected to. This is with latest firmware and radius authentication turned on. 

If I change authentication to open, everything starts working again. Or if I downgrade,  everything works with radius authentication.

I'm simply not buying your theory of RF interference.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Yep, I'll agree that your problem needs more detailed troubleshooting, possibly sniffer traces to tell what is really going on.
Please ask your tech support engineer to help setup testing or escalate your ticket.  Thanks.

kari_hyv_nen
New Contributor III
Hi!
We had a 2 hour session with support tech (although troubleshooting a totally wrong thing for the first 1.5 hours ... ) . Anyway, a more senior tech jumped in and traced problem to a network policy setting. Tech quickly created a new network policy for WLAN and compared the settings with the current one and quickly jumped in to a conclusion that reason was "Reduce Multilink if server reaches 50% for 2 minutes".  Case closed. 

But I'm persistent, didn't believe that explanation (single user, not much traffic AND it's still working with 200.4 and 200.3 firmware. And we are not even using multilink afaik). 

So I did a little digging after the support session ended. As I suspected it has nothing to do with multilink settings, but encryption!

I can now reproduce the problem every time I uncheck "no encryption" box on my wlan network policy setting properties. 

Couple of questions:

1) Why does the encrypting traffic works on older firmwares, but not on the 200.5?
2) What exactly is encrypted / left unencrypted if I check the "No Encryption" box?
Image_ images_messages_5f91c43e135b77e2479dc6dc_c9220763e3703c78fb35fe6911b69ea4_RackMultipart201710261196051yz-7e5d77a1-25c4-4ae1-94e5-c38a61a8a823-1992138534.jpg1509024551

li_zijie
New Contributor III
Hello, your version of the problem after the downgrade of which version after the normal? Or to brush back fat ap version?