cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R500 slow troughput, high latency, high packet loss

kari_hyv_nen
New Contributor III

Hi! 
Today I upgraded our Ruckus R500 Wireless access points from web interface button to the latest (200.5.10.0.235software. After that the internal network speed is very slow. We practically cannot download anything from our file server or have skype calls or anything.

While connected to internal wlan, I get these kind of ping statistics for our access points

Ping statistics for 192.168.xxx.xxx: 
Packets: Sent = 150, Received = 138, Lost = 12 (8% loss), 
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: 
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 1166ms, Average = 804ms

It does not seem to matter, to which access point I'm connected to. Signal strength is excellent (I'm less that 10ft away from the AP), the network speed is reported between 500-1000Mbps.

However, if I connect to our Guest WLAN, I get decent speeds and can ping outside network addresses with low latencies. Problem started after the upgrade. I have rebooted all the access points, but that didnt make a difference.

I'm new to Ruckus Wireless products, is there anything else I need to do after an upgrade? I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. I've opened a support ticket, but I hope that I could get some help here more quickly.
26 REPLIES 26

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
As your support engineer will ask, what is your environment, where is your AP mounted
and what possible sources of interference are near to it?  If you reboot the AP, does it 
choose different 2.4g or 5g channels?  Do you get similar results on different clients in
the same location, or the same client in different locations, relative to the AP?  Firmware
version should not make any difference, but RF certainly does.  If you look at your AP
support info file, you can see your client mac address connection details, to help determine
if it's interference near the AP/AP channel, or possibly near your client 10 feet or 100 feet
away.  These are some troubleshooting ideas.

Hi and thank you for your reply.
We have an open office environment with some walls and 5 APs scattered around. Every client in internal network will get the same (slow) results. The distance to the nearest AP does not seem to have any effect.

Here's an exmaple from my laptop. 
When I'm connected to guest network, i'll get decent speeds (limited to 10Mbps) downloading a 200MB iso file from debian web site.

Pinging google at the same time:
Ping statistics for 216.58.209.99:
    Packets: Sent = 169, Received = 167, Lost = 2 (1% loss)
    Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 163ms, Average = 63ms

When I switch back to internal wlan (same AP, same position, same laptop) and try downloading again, I will get an estimate of 11 hours for downloading 200MB. At the same time pinging google looks like this
Ping statistics for 216.58.211.131:
    Packets: Sent = 40, Received = 37, Lost = 3 (7% loss),
    Minimum = 513ms, Maximum = 1251ms, Average = 944ms

kari_hyv_nen
New Contributor III
A support tech promised to call me yesterday 3pm EEST, but didnt receive call. Waited for three hours. After that I replied the email I got earlier to schedule a new appointment, but only got an out of office reply. 

I tried searching for your knowledge base how to downgrade the firmware, but could not find anything. Is it possible to downgrade?