cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Questions - Non Ruckus AP to joint Ruckus Unleashed Wifi net work?

david_m
New Contributor II

Hi

I just installed my first home Ruckus Wifi network. Still learning and trying to troubleshoot. I have 2 R550s one main and the other client AP. I was getting decent output from the main AP but the client was giving very poor wifi signal even close to the AP. It is all hardwired and not on a mesh. 

I turned off the 2.5 Ghz on both the units and then the signal strength improved. Still surprisingly the signal strength is not as good as the old Netgear and D link home routers!!! So I guess I have to tweak my settings to see how to improve the signal strength. I have the following questions:

1) There is a second ethernet port [next to the POE port] in the R550. I though I could daisy chain my TV from this port. But there is no wired connection showing up! How do I get wired connection from this second port? Do I have to adjust any settings in the R550?

2) How do I change the password for my wifi network [not the admin password, but password for individual users to log in to the system]?

3) I have three levels in my house each roughly 1800 to 2000 sq ft. Before I was able to cover and get decent signal from my old Dlink and Netgear [as AP]. Now I am able to cover the same space with my 2 R550, but only after I turn off the 2.5 Ghz button, with this being on, the slave/AP seems to have poor wifi coverage. I am now getting very poor signal in my basement [I was getting 75 to 90 Mbps with my old set up and now getting only 7-14 mbps in the basement]. 

So the question is, will I be able to use my old Netgear or Dlink as an AP along with the Ruckus wifi network? 

I have a Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-4 for router function.

Thanks for your reply.

10 REPLIES 10

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi David,

I hope APs are running on the latest AP version 200.9.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Yes Omer.

I set it up last night and was too tired to troubleshoot. Planning to software factory reset and reinstall the master and then the client AP using the instruction manual tonight. Hope this will help with the range issue.

Refer my response below.

1) There is a second ethernet port [next to the POE port] in the R550. I though I could daisy chain my TV from this port. But there is no wired connection showing up! How do I get wired connection from this second port? Do I have to adjust any settings in the R550?

[Omer] Make sure AP is getting 802.3at power from POE or POE switch, else 2nd port will not work. with 802.3af power, only 1st port will be operational.

2) How do I change the password for my wifi network [not the admin password, but password for individual users to log in to the system]?

[Omer] What is the WLAN/SSID type (open, WP2, Guest)? if it is WPA2, login to Unleashed dashboard or unleashed app, edit the desired network and change the passphrase as per your requirement.

3) I have three levels in my house each roughly 1800 to 2000 sq ft. Before I was able to cover and get decent signal from my old Dlink and Netgear [as AP]. Now I am able to cover the same space with my 2 R550, but only after I turn off the 2.5 Ghz button, with this being on, the slave/AP seems to have poor wifi coverage. I am now getting very poor signal in my basement [I was getting 75 to 90 Mbps with my old set up and now getting only 7-14 mbps in the basement]. 

[Omer] Check and make sure your devises are connecting to their nearest APs. If not, go to WLAN/SSID setting and change the BSS Minrate setting and set it to 12Mbsp.

If still facing issue, please open a case with support so that they can review and troubleshoot it.

And yes, you can use your old wireless APs as well, but it is not recommended, because more APs will create more interference and will cause performance degradation on 2.4 G radio.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn