cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to replace Ubiquiti with Ruckus

mvalpreda
New Contributor III
Looking to replace my 2x Ubiquiti APs with some Ruckus Unleashed gear. Currently I have a UAP-AC-HD (AC Wave2) feeding the house and a UAP-AC-LR (AC Wave1) feeding the garage. Coverage is pretty good and there are generally no issues, but just looking for something a little better. If anything, I would like a little more coverage outside the garage. The UAP-AC-LR maybe gets 50-75 feet outside the garage....but that could have a lot to do with the construction of the condo and number of walls....

Typically there is around 20 devices connected via wireless. Most are simple devices that don't communicate too much (Amazon Echo, thermostat some cameras, etc) on 2.4Ghz, and 3x iPads, 2x iPhones, 1x Blackberry, and 5x laptops that can use 5Ghz. There are a couple of Apple TV 4K, but those are wired and connected either directly to a switch connected to the router or in another room via MoCA.

I was thinking an R710 in the house and an R310 or H320 in the garage (the extra switch port might come in handy!). I'm sure The R710 might be overkill, but rather just do it once. 
Curious if anyone had any thoughts or input this.
9 REPLIES 9

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Sounds reasonable.  I don't know if R310 might provide better coverage... but would need a lab with multiple devices to test.
If just for your garage coverage, then the extra H320 port's availablity could connect another small switch, etc.

mvalpreda
New Contributor III
R310 vs R710 is certainly a big price difference! I tend to overdo things....get the top of the model line.....so I don't have equipment to blame.....

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
I mean the R710 in your home for sure will provide great service, and as a 2nd AP for the garage, you get double the BeamFlex gain and Interference mitigation with the R310 Indoor model AP, over the H320 (Hospitality) model, unless you foresee the need for an Eth device out there someday...?

mvalpreda
New Contributor III
If there is better BeamFlex (part of what prompted this) with the R310, I will go that way. Exactly the input I was looking for! 🙂