cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leave single R500 Stand Alone or convert to Unleashed

sean_mcneal
New Contributor II
Hello,

I have a single R500 AP and probably will not need to add another at any time. Just wondering if there are any performance advantages to making this an Unleashed AP?

Another similar question - with a single AP would there be any performance enhancements with a zone director? In other words, am I still getting all of the Ruckus tech like beam forming, and band steering with just the single AP or is the zone director required to unlock those?

Sorry - noob to Ruckus
12 REPLIES 12

For that environment I would definitely suggest Unleashed.  Besides the easier management with Unleashed, standalone APs use SmartSelect channel selection which some WiFi clients may have issues with.  Unleashed allows you to use Background Scanning-based channel selection which is better supported.

allen_downs_gok
New Contributor
Great article, I was thinking the same question as Sean asked.  My only question is if I've purchased a R510, does it cost me anything to upgrade to the Ruckus Unleashed software?  I'm very picky on my home network and haven't found a good wireless device until I found Ruckus.

michael_grant_6
Contributor II
No, you can interchange between Unleashed and stand alone firmware as you please.