Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interference and Design - Small Office

bruce_gettel
New Contributor
Hello Folks,

I'll keep this as succinct as possible:
  • Small commercial office - 4K sq. feet
  • Client has 1 (consumer grade) b/g/n AP (Cisco / Linksys)
  • Both bands in operation, auto-channel-select enabled on 2.4, channel 153 at 80MHz on 5GHz
  • Client complaining of poor WiFi Performance
  • AirMagnet shows very congested airspace - 19 SSIDs / 25 WAPs in the surrounding offices / buildings
  • Every "alien" AP is operating on 1, 6, or 11 on 2.4
  • Two APs are operating close enough to channel 153 to concern me
I need to solve the client's problem.  Certainly getting the consumer-grade WAP out of there is the first step.  I'd like to put in a pair of Unleashed R600 access points.

What are your high-level config recommendations to help deal with the congestion / neighboring WLANs?  Would a couple of APs placed in the right locations, along with ChannelFly do the trick?

Credibility concern:  Removing the existing AP with auto-channel capabilities and replacing it with different (albeit commercial grade) APs with the same type of feature.  I need to be careful how I explain this, and confident that ChannelFly (if used) will work better than what's already there.

Thanks in advance.

BG
3 REPLIES 3

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
just a thought...

why two of the R600? when requirement is currently met by one of consumer grade b/g/n AP (Cisco / Linksys)

R600 would be far superior in range, client handling capacity etc...

If congestion / neighboring WLANs is the problem then ChannelFly will do the trick however i would suggest that have channelfly ON but also enables MTBC function so that you have channelfly but it will switch channel at less intervals..

Does Unleashed have the MTBC function?

Check AP positioning and ensure it's placed in a manner that gives optimum coverage - remember and keep the AP's antenna at least 1 wavelength (12.5cm) away from reflective surfaces like metal.

I would then do a survey and find out the coverage from all of the 3rd party AP's.

You could try using Ekahaus free heatmapper tool:

http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/ekahau-heatmapper

Then from the results I would look at the standards used, channel occupancy and signal levels in the areas of concern.

Note: If there are AP's using the lower rates i.e. 802.11b , then you may need an AP that uses AirtimeFairness to mitigate the probability of the DCF MAC issue - cue Ruckus AP's.

If there aren't any 802.11b AP's, you may be able to just simply add in another Cisco/Linksys AP and shout louder than everyone else, making sure you try and use the least congested channels to help with airtime.