cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forcing a client to connect to specific AP under Unleashed + Mesh

andrew_se
New Contributor

We've got R510 + R310 APs, all connected into one Unleashed (200.7) network, with Mesh enabled.

Few clients seem to have issues connecting to nearest AP (R310), which causes slow network access and interruptions. When they re-connect to unwanted AP (R510), we can either reboot that AP (R510) or reboot the client, and it will get back to nearest AP (R310). But it doesn't stick and we have to repeat this, which is not optimal.

I've seen some very old discussions which were not helpful, including stuff about AP groups and WLAN groups. I don't see such options in the interface, possibly because Mesh is enabled.

I imagine one of the following might help:

- Forcing certain AP to broadcast certain SSID.

- Prevent certain AP from broadcasting certain SSID.

But so far I'm not seeing any possibilities to achieve any of that.

11 REPLIES 11

Not sure it doesn't support roaming. It occasionally connects to different AP (even though it seemed from its configuration that we can select an AP we need by MAC), and we wanted to prevent that - which is why I created this question.

iddqd
New Contributor

This is for everyone who suffered trying to plow through the intricacies of forcing a device to talk to just one AP on the Ruckus Unleashed network. 
I do not know why, but nobody published a detailed guide anywhere. 
By chance, I located a decent video by Ruckus on how to set up an AP group:
https://youtu.be/XNtfXZw-jK4

Here's what you have to do.

1. Open the Unleashed Dashboard
  2. Unroll the Access Points block.
  3. Press the icon with two windows (see the picture below):
    iddqd_0-1711222561387.png
    You're in a group view now!!
    NOTE: This button took me months of back and forth to locate. I simply did not see it.
  4. Press Create button.
    iddqd_3-1711222688813.png
  5. Name the new Group.
    Select the APs you want to be in it. 
    By default, you only have the System Default group.
    NOTE: in the screenshot, I have no APs to distribute, since I've already done that to all of mine.
    iddqd_5-1711223235623.png
  6. Press Next, and select the WLANs you want to be broadcasted by the APs in this group.
    iddqd_6-1711223533519.png
  7. Press Next yet again, wrap up the set up, and that's it. You're done!
    Now you have a new Group of APs which will only broadcast the WLANs you've specified.
  8. Create one or more other groups, and distribute WLANs to those APs accordingly, making sure to not include the WLAN you do not want those APs to broadcast. 
    Alternatively, edit the System Default Group and exclude the WLANs you don't want other APs to broadcast. 
    I know, it's self-evident, but I feel that it must be said.  
  9. Finally, now you can add devices that you want to talk to only certain AP(s) to the WLAN that is assigned to the Group which includes only those APs.
    Enjoy! 🎉🥂