cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients fail to renew DHCP address, they get 169.x.x.x IP

bogdantudor
New Contributor

I have configured Unleashed using two R750 access points. This is for my home network, very basic, one ISP router (Xfinity), one switch and the access points. No VLANs configured. Most of the settings on the R750 are default. The DHCP service is running on the Xfinity router. I have setup the R750 APs on DHCP addresses, with the master having a reserved IP, just so I know where to login to the UI. Since I have implemented this setup, I've noticed that my wifi clients are often being disconnected, and the reason seems to be that they can't renew the addresses. They often get stuck with an 169.x.x.x. address. The fix is to turn the wifi on/off on the affected client, and that will force a successful dhcp lease. Do you have any suggestions on why this is happening and how to fix it?

I should mention that this started only after implementing Ruckus unleashed. I used Ubiquiti APs before and did not have this problem.

1 REPLY 1

sanjay_kumar
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi @bogdantudor 

The better way to understand the issue is to see if the DHCP packets are going out of the AP or not at the time of issue.
This we can we do it by taking the capture on the AP.
If you are familiar with the captures, then you can do it by following the below steps:
1. Go to Admin & Services > Administration > Diagnostics > Packet Capture.
2. For Radio, select 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.
3. Under Currently Managed APs, select APs from the list and click Add to Capture APs.
4. Select Local Mode
a. Click Start to begin capturing packets.
b. Click Stop to end the capture.
c. Click Save to save the packet capture to a local file.

Once the issue is reproduced, then you can open the file in wireshark and check the packets.
If you are not sure on the packet capture analysis then you can share it with me (You can DM me) or open a support case to help on this (taking capture and analyze the issue).