cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R730 Regularly disconnects from ZD1200

medlog_it
New Contributor III
We carried an upgrade of the ZD1200 from version 10.3.x.x to 10.4.1.0.214  some of the R730 APs keep disconnecting from the ZD. We have to disable and reenable the switch on which the affected AP is connected before it will be back online.

This is frusting very seriously, is their anyway to resolve this constant disconnection of R730?

Thanks in anticipation.
6 REPLIES 6

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi,

There could be many reasons for AP to disconnect from the controller.

Check below and provide more info.
  • AP and ZD is on same subnet/network or different?
  • APs are located on same site or different. If different, how APs are reaching controller, over public IP or over VPN.
  • Are there any other AP models, which are stable?
  • Do you see any event logs explains why APs are disconnecting? Like heartbeat failure.
  • Please make sure there is no network connection issue between AP to ZD.
  • Make sure AP is at least getting 802.3at power. You can check this in APs support info or you can SSH into the AP and run "get power-mode" command.
  • Check ZD event logs and find if APs are unable to update firmware or configuration update is failing.
If above all looks fine and you are unable to find any issue in the network and AP power configuration, please open a support case with support info of some of the APs with ZD debug logs.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Hi Syamantak Omer

The AP and the ZD are in the same network and the same subnet.

The AP and the ZD are in the same site, the same building connected via switches and cables.

The APs which are stable are those APs on TPlink switches, those on Cisco switches are the ones regularly and frequently disconnecting from the network.

No reasonable reason from the logs examined so far, but if you can help us with how to drill into this more, I will appreciate it.

The network between the AP and the ZD is very strong and reliable, in fact when the AP disconnects those on cable network on the same switch with the AP are still up.

This is the result of get power-mode

rkscli: get power-mode

PoE Configured Mode      : bt5

Power Consumption Status : 802.3bt5 Switch/Injector

From get version on these APs it shows the firmware have been updated to the latest version of 10.4.1.0.214

I observed that when there is a power change from generator to the public power supply some of these APs get disconnected, some do reboot and comes online while some will need shutting down and up of the switch port before it will reboot and come up. From the switch the POE is displaying 15.4 rating for the port of the AP.

These issues started since we upgraded the ZD firmware to 10.4.1.0.214

Please is there any solution to this challenge?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Eze

medlog_it
New Contributor III
Hi Syamantak Omer

The AP and the ZD are in the same network and the same subnet.

The AP and the ZD are in the same site, the same building connected via switches and cables.

The APs which are stable are those APs on TPlink switches, those on Cisco switches are the ones regularly and frequently disconnecting from the network.

No reasonable reason from the logs examined so far, but if you can help us with how to drill into this more, I will appreciate it.

The network between the AP and the ZD is very strong and reliable, in fact when the AP disconnects those on cable network on the same switch with the AP are still up.

This is the result of get power-mode

rkscli: get power-mode

PoE Configured Mode      : bt5

Power Consumption Status : 802.3bt5 Switch/Injector

From get version on these APs it shows the firmware have been updated to the latest version of 10.4.1.0.214

I observed that when there is a power change from generator to the public power supply some of these APs get disconnected, some do reboot and comes online while some will need shutting down and up of the switch port before it will reboot and come up. From the switch the POE is displaying 15.4 rating for the port of the AP.

These issues started since we upgraded the ZD firmware to 10.4.1.0.214

Please is there any solution to this challenge?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Eze

Hi Eze,

I think issue could be limited to the power related and specific to CISCO switches.

Could you check and make sure SW power budget is not exhausted at some point and causing the issue?

It is obvious that a wired client connected to these switches will not see any issue until it is also using POE, from the same switch. Data connection will not interrupt if the device is not using POE from the switch
I suggest debugging this at SW level as well because SW is providing the power.

Also you can pull the AP support logs for some of the APs which are rebooting and check what was the last reboot reason (search for "reboot reason").

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn