cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Construction - Need Wifi Enabled

david_fry_48214
New Contributor II
We are buying a new construction house.  It will be 2 floors with a basement.  We'll likely only have a cable modem supplying the data.  The modem will likely be on the made or 2nd floor.  What would be the preferred setup to ensure all floors have full connectivity?   

Also I'd like to enable rogue device detection as I want to ensure only devices I know about connnect to our Wifi.  Though this is less of a priority.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
david...
since your premises in under_construction. you have Cat6 cable dropped at relevant location on each floor...
use unleashed AP for wifi purpose.
If dropping cable drop is not a possible now then again you can go with Unleashed AP's (R500/R510, R600/R610 and so on) with mesh feature to have better and consistent connectivity.
unleashed is cost effective and shall meet your smart home needs including rogue device detection 🙂

david_fry_48214
New Contributor II
So one unit per floor? Connected via cat6. Can each of these APs have the same ssid?

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
ideally yes however it depends on floor size and type of construction material used/thickness etc. Cat6 yes
Yes - unleashed software allows you to have controller functions without investing in physical controller. Yes you can have all AP's broadcasting same SSID with unleashed.

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
btw.. if you have the scope of putting Cat6 in every floor then you can also consider unleashed AP model R310... its very cost effective however little less feature set & lesser range than R500/R510 & R600/R610 and so on.
if your requirement is just what you have mentioned above then R310 will fit the bill... Thx