cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Anyone Actually Using IPv6?

andrew_hamilto1
New Contributor II
This post is a follow-up from my previous one about IPv6 network solicitations from a few days ago, which has left me thinking.

I'm curious as to whether anyone is actually using IPv6 for managing a fleet of access points (not necessarily for client traffic).

The reason for my query is that I'm looking to set up a Wi-Fi network from scratch, so I thought that rather than have to convert to IPv6 in the future, I'd just use IPv6 from the get-go. However, I'm finding that there are little things that just don't work (e.g. network solicitations), which is making me think that I'd be better off just going with good ol' IPv4.

It would seem that all network equipment and software applications are developed first for IPv4 (because that's what everyone uses) with IPv6 added as an afterthought. Consequently, the IPv6 features are not nearly as robust as their IPv4 counterparts (if they exist at all).

I'm starting to think that moving to IPv6 is a bit like changing to the metric system: logical in theory but too much of a pain in practice.

Will IPv6 ever displace IPv4 for managing networks? Is proceeding with IPv6 a hopeless cause?
1 REPLY 1

henri_godoy
New Contributor II
Hello, I'm using ipv6 on a Virtual Smart Zone controller, but the great frustration at the moment is that in the case of using a captive portal, walled garden does not accept ipv6, that's a big problem.