cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Set up Help Needed

brian_burns_gjh
New Contributor II
I'm not very experience with IT so please forgive my ignorance. I have a new home with many rooms wired via ethernet back to the media closet in the living. The house is a ranch so all one floor but sprawling. Also a large backyard that I would like to provide wifi to.

Here is what I have and what I'm hoping to accomplish. Please advise if you would.

I have a combo cable modem/router (cable co provided).
A gigabit switch connected to the ethernet cables from the individual rooms.
I have purchased 3 R510 AP's in the hopes of providing wifi coverage throughout.

I understand that my first AP will be the master. I also want all of the AP's and  the cable/modem/router to broadcast the same WLAN wifi network. (Is that possible?)

I would like to manage the network using the ruckus controller interface.

How should I wire my setup? Should the cable/modem/router get connected to the switch and then the access points are connected to ethernet cables coming off the switch? That sounds right to me but when i do that I get two WLAN networks... the one established on the cable/modem/router and one established on the master AP.

Another question... is it best to set up the master AP in the media closet with the cable/modem and switch? If I do that I am basically providing redundant wifi in that area because the master AP and the cable/modem are broadcasting wifi signal (however from two different WLAN which I don't want. ) Should I set up master AP in media closet with the switch and just shut down cable/modem wifi and it's WLAN.

I suppose I'm simply asking what is the correct way to wire these devices in order to set up a Ruckus Unleashed network in my home. 

Thanks for you help in advance.
0 REPLIES 0