cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I register a new AP?

dan_swartzendru
New Contributor III
I bought 2 new R710 on ebay, and have flashed the first to unleashed and it's working fine.  The 2nd should be delivered today.  I'm not clear on how to register these devices for support.  The only info I have is the Serial Number, but the support site seems to be talking about an "Activation Code"?  Am I missing something?  Is there any point in registering them unless I need an RMA?  I did find an article recommending purchasing unleased support, but that's a different matter.
4 REPLIES 4

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Dan,

Is your company registered with us?

I doubt you can register an AP purchased from ebay because support is only available for the APs purchased from an authorized RUCKUS reseller/partner.

You can use the APs on Unleashed code but if you want technical support for these APs or need RMA, device registration is mandatory.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

hayward_kong
Contributor III
Even though the R710s you bought on ebay are new, they have no warranty through Ruckus unless you bought them from an authorized Ruckus dealer. ..... normally if you bought a ruckus AP through an Ruckus authorized dealer.. you get I think about 60 day support and would have to by a support contract if you wanted more support. Also , if you got it through an authorized dealer then it would have a limited lifetime warranty on the AP. However since you bought them through ebay which is more likely not an authorized Ruckus Dealer.
You can probably still buy a support contact to give you a warranty. .. but you'll have to look into it.  If you are looking for free help .. best to look on the these forums.

As you can see, loading unleashed it's free and doesn't need a support contact unlike ZoneDirector  or SmartZone.

dan_swartzendru
New Contributor III
I wish I'd know this before I bought them from ebay 😞  So if one of my units dies tomorrow, I'm SOL?  Well, short of trying to get a refund from the ebay seller?  Probably not worth worrying about, since I've never had a wifi unit from anyone die in less than 5 years.  Might still be worth looking into a warranty option though.  Thanks for the replies!

dan_swartzendru
New Contributor III
So the seller is not a reseller/partner but does offer a 60-day return, so that should get me past the infant mortality window 🙂