cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZD1200 SETUP MIGRATION TO vSZH

sebastian_monsa
New Contributor II
The inconvenience has to do with the complexity of the Medellín Metro customer network. Where there are several network segments, isolated by VLANs in different locations. These VLANs are properly propagated to the access switches, at each location, to the Vlan 4 "Servers" segment where the VMs of the vSZ-H controller are housed and a data plane in order to "Tunnel" the traffic Of some WLANs like WLAN METRO 2 (and I will explain the reason for this tunnel). Each VLAN has an associated WLAN as follows:

to. SSID "Wlan Metro 2": Dynamic Vlans, auth. By 802.1x EAP with a Radius on an Active Directory server. It receives the authentication requests from the controller and dynamically assigns, depending on the credentials, individual parameters for each client, exactly VLANS access.
B. SSID "Visitors": Vlan 2500, Guest Access Authentication with tokens.
C. SSID "Movil Metro": Vlan 2500, integrated captive gateway authentication of the controller, associated with an LDAP server.

At the beginning of the implementation of the virtual controller and its WLANs, the experience of using the wireless networks was at least unstable. This means that some user terminals were connected and others were not, at the beginning of the day they connected and then no, Sundays were connected without problems, but on weekdays not, as if they affected the number of customers or the time on day. It should be noted that these WLAN scenarios as described above were simulated in a controlled environment in the Ticline lab and there were no problems, ie the WLAN configurations were tested and guaranteed in their operation.

What could be detected during these days of diagnostics, is that even though the WLANs were correctly configured, they did not receive a valid IP LAN to provide the DHCP (all 3 wlans), or if they were too slow, Forcing them to manually use a read / renew on the PC. According to what we discovered, the DHCP broadcast requests flooded the VLAN network segments through the subway access SW and backhaul SW, to the Router or other equipment that was in charge of doing the routing between VLANS. The DHCP servers are within the VLAN segments 4 and 2500. The DHCP of the VLAN 2500 is configured in a firewall, as we are told.

The delay produced by searching the DHCP servers for the broadcast transmissions of the user terminals produced the unstable network experience. Therefore, according to the documentation found, a DHCP Relay could solve the problem. What happens is that to implement this relay in a vSZ-H, it is necessary to tune the WLANs to a DATAPLANE by means of a Ruckus GRE tunnel, so that the dataplane is in charge of performing the DHCP relay to the specific IP addresses of the DHCP servers, which in summary was to convert the DHCP broadcast to unicast, directing them exactly to the servers as if it were intermediary of these transmissions.

However, once the data plane was implemented, for example the WLAN of dynamic vlans "Wlan Metro 2", it started to offer IPs of VLAN 4 nothing else, as if it did not take into account the dianamic configuration of vlans, and it would deliver IPS according To their segments. What we believe, is that the data plane, is misplaced, since according to we understand it must be to the extreme of the segments of broadcast, in this case of VLANs. Currently it is in the segment of servers Vlan 4 (in its two interfaces, management and DATA), but we hope this afternoon, to move it to the VLAN segment 24 or "network equipment management", specifically its DATA interface, which is The one that exchanges messages with the APs.

We would appreciate some comments about this scenario, which can help us to rule out possible faults that may be occurring, including if the measures taken are correct, such as the dataplane and the location of it.

You may also see the following forum entry, something similar to what we are showing: https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/ruckus-dhcp-relay-cisco-hp-dhcp-relay
4 REPLIES 4

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
You ought to have this design discussion with your VAR or Ruckus SE, so I'm not sure how much feedback we can provide from forums.

Thank you Michael! i've tried but its slower than asking it here

yogesh_ranade
New Contributor II
Sebastian, Can you please send me an email at yranade@brocade.com and include your detailed network topology diagram and configuration. I will reach out to the data plane experts in our team to help you as much as we can. Thx.

Thank you Yogesh, I'll send it to you during the day.