cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus R720/R710/R610 Unleashed half speed download

igor_vax
New Contributor II
Dear Ruckus, I have invested enough money to get fast and seamless internet on my APs. Not only did I recommend Ruckus Unleashed to many of my friends who wanted a fast and stable internet connection, and they also bought your points. But it is not, stable - yes, seamless - rather yes, fast - no. I carefully read all the similar problems in this forum over the past and did not find a single solution to the problem with half speed internet. Some offer a downgrade to 200.4, some Standalone. But this does not solve the problems if you have a few modern points with Wave 2 (which have the earliest firmware 200.5) and there are not so many to buy ZD. But what is more frustrating is that all the solutions are offered by users, not Ruckus himself. Even the timing of its decision is not defined. Recently a new firmware 200.8 was released, but this problem is still not solved. Because it’s really a problem when an AP for $40 gives Internet download speed up two to three times faster than at a point for $1500. Just tell us you are solving this problem or not? And when is the result possible? If it drags on for a long time, it’s easier to sell all my APs on eBay and switch to another vendor.

Related posts:
https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/slow-download-speeds-r710-unleashed
https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/fixes-in-january-2020-r720-ap-unleashed-uplo...
20 REPLIES 20

Thanks. Is that on non iOS devices?

Also, those rumors came out very close to each other. What is the difference?

It still seems to be an issue

taylor_wall
New Contributor III
200.8.10.3.278 is broken:

-Download speeds arbitrarily capped at ~250mbps or abiut 1/2 to 2/3 upload, where a Comcast all in one gets between 300-400. Channel and width changes do not help. 106 firmware does not help.

-Lag is experienced by my tenants with game consoles and they send me text messages at 2:30 in the morning, livid because this happened last time I tried to get the download speeds fixed with any firmware but the early 106 one.

-iPhones significantly faster on ISP router when we had their internet.

Looking at another enterprise competitor, this seems to be a common thing: destroying single client throughput and making gaming a terrible experience at all costs. The excuse of "it's optimized for many users and businesses uses like video calls and QoS to make sure people can stream and browse smoothly" is terrible, as we have had 25+ people within 30 feet of the prior router and the ISP one is fine.

I have no credibility with tenants now who love to bring up the internet problems every time they pay rent, and one has threatened to not pay until I get a new access point.

This was an expensive mistake, and I was willing to pay out the nose for an access point to not cause this headache.

Going forward I highly recommend engineering tests using speedtest.net on a gigabit connection to ensure access points work for home/rental/small business use with default unleashed settings.

Also worth it to have an intern take one home and play first person shooters for a week to see if there is real world lag, or to click around on a YouTube video and see if it has to buffer at all. An excellent modern router should not even show the loading circle.

I apologize to those working diligently on this and trying their best, but I am not able to reconfigure or otherwise change from 106 firmware to perform further tests as it causes too much friction with tenants and I don't have a console to test with.

Hopefully I can squeeze a new system in at 4AM and avoid them being passive aggressive for weeks.

s_j
New Contributor II

I just bought an r710 in an attempt to get a faster and more solid connection than the Ubiquiti AP I was previously connected to and, despite being closer (~3' away, on the other side of a wall, versus ~25' through ~5 walls, it's no better, and possibly worse, and the overall reach is worse than the Ubiquiti. I was excited about it based on stuff I read with people raving about Ruckus, but it's been a massive disappointment and waste of money. The absolute best speed I've been able to achieve is just under 480Mbps, and with what should be a proper/normal setup, it's between 10 and 80. I've tried multiple firmware versions (6, 8, and 10) and have tested the speed with an online speed test, SpeedFlex, and copying a file over the network.

The only thing I've found that helps is limiting it to 5GHz only, which is what allows me to get 400-480Mbps, otherwise it always uses 2.4GHz and moves extremely slow. But those speeds I'm getting on 5GHz are much, much slower than they should be, and even slower than I should get on 2.4GHz. It just doesn't make any sense, and the only conclusion I can draw at this point is that Ruckus APs are just complete junk. I wish that wasn't the case, because I was really hoping to have found a new and great one that I could use as well as recommend to others, but clearly this isn't it.

There's almost no other 5GHz traffic here, and only a small handful of 2.4GHz networks, most of which are relatively weak, so it's no an interference issue, not to mention one of the big things with Ruckus is its supposed ability to handle that with ChannelFly. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd love to hear it.

@s_j  Did you put it into performance mode which allows use of DFS channels if you don't live near.an airport or weather station... ...  not sure if your R710 Is fine but mine on average now gets about 550ish to 600mbps on an iPad Pro 2018..... Note, channel fly might take a few days to adapt.  Note, don't use speedflex to check speeds unless you are checking on an AP in which you are not connected via wifi . It gives very inaccurate results on if you are wifi connected to the same AP whiing checking speed flex.  Gives much different results on a different AP.  Best I suggest is testing with iperf3.  What kind of Wifi clients are you testing it with? You can always separate the wifi SSID for one 5ghz and one 2ghz.  oh Also what are you powering it with? POE+ and have you checked if it's in 802.3at mode? Anyway if you getting on average 10-80mbps...... something is wrong... sounds like 2.4ghz connection or somehow you encountered that old speed bug which was a security fix which plagued unleashed firmware 200.7.x.x to 200.8.x.x. I haven't had that issue anymore nor more clients.  

Anyway how old is your home and what kind of materials is it?