cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus AP R510 doesn't power on via ICX7150-C12P

tiago1984
New Contributor

After a power outage my access points doesn't power on, those are R510. My Ruckus switch  ICX 7150-C12P shows an amber and green flashing lights.

I tried do power cycle to see if comes back and it doesn't come back. Then I'm trying to do a software reset following some of the forums but I can't access the Switch using a MacBook with only usb-c. when I try in the terminal it doesn't work. Can someone put a step by step focusing on a Mac on how I can access the switch console using the terminal nd what kind of cables should I use and how to perform a software reset and try to return power back to my access points?

In parallel, anyone in the Bay Area California can offer support to fix this at home if I pay?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Jayavidhya

Hi @tiago1984 

Greetings for the day, 

Based on your description if the switch has one green and one yellow light it shows that your switch is stuck in boot mode.

Please follow the below steps for MAC console access to switch also steps to perform software recovery.

Mac iOS system solution 

1-Install the drivers on your machine to read the cable type C to console the switch ( ICX-7150-C12P )  

Software:

Link:https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers?tab=downloadshttps://www.silabs.com...

Link:https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/1413-brocade-ruckus-7150-usb-serial-driver-mac

tempsnip1.png

2-After successfully installing the Mac Drivers, open the Mac terminal, when you see the command prompt do the following:

Enter this command:

ls /dev/cu.*

This command will display something like this:

One of those logs will say something similar to /dev/cu.SiLabs_Serial (which is related to the drivers you installed)

3-Then enter the following command using the name of the installed driver that was displayed:

screen /dev/cu.SiLabs_Serial 9600

4-Hit Enter and you will have access to the ICX7150’s CLI.  (Comand Line)

Video link as reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AcJokMm78U

5. Let’s download the firmware, we require performing the software recovery.

Note:I will download the 08090k firmware using the file named SPS08090k.bin for image, I will advise using the same, and when you take the switch out of boot mode, please upgrade to the recommended 08095g UFI code, with the file named SPS08095gufi.bin and upgrades both partitions primary/secondary.

Link: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software

Look for the scroll bar, (Choose Product) and select ICX7150>downloads>choose the code>I will choose 08090k>downloads>agree the terms>download.

Yarenis_2-1668180266865.png

Yarenis_3-1668180266867.png

Yarenis_4-1668180266868.png

Yarenis_0-1668201686515.png

Yarenis_6-1668180266875.png

*Now that you have downloaded the firmware, unzip the file and create a folder, then paste only the following two files: boot and image, in my example I will use the 08090k firmware, so look the main folder for the directory that belongs to the same Switch model you have ICX7150, there are subdirectories, look for boot and image files, and copy and paste (in the folder you have created) the following files names.

For Boot: mnz10115.bin

For Image: SPS08090k.bin

Note: you can see in my example I searched from my downloads>file 08090k (The code I downloaded and Unzip>ICX7150>now you can see the subdirectories I have mentioned, then copy the two files (boot and Image) to the new folder you have created, I named mine Upgrade.

Yarenis_7-1668180266880.png

Yarenis_8-1668180266884.png

1: Now we have all the applications downloaded and the firmware, Let’s configure your Computer’s IP address, this must be statically assigned in order to have connectivity to your switch, remember you have an Ethernet cable from your computer to the Management port in the switch, so we require configure the computer with the same subnet.

Start>type control panel>View network status and Task>change adapter setting>Ethernet>right click properties>Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4)>Select Use the following IP address>insert the same information I have>Click OK

Yarenis_0-1672328726806.png

2: Now let’s prepare your TFTP server:

Start>type TFTP>Open

A: Select the path with the folder you have created named Upgrade:

Hit browse>download>Upgrade>OK

B: Select the server interfaces as the IP address you configured for your computer:192.168.0.2

Scroll Server interfaces>choose the one you configured statically in your computer

Yarenis_10-1668180266907.png

Note: after configuring the TFTP server Application, this one must remain open during all process.

3: Now that the TFTP application is set up, let’s open putty to gain access to the Switch and star the software recovery, however before open putty we need to know the COM# your computer have assigned for the connection between your Computer to the Switch’s console port.

Let’s find the COM#, then use the Putty APP to access the CLI of the Switch.

Note: The COM it’s basically a number that the computer assigned when there are external devices connected, in our case will be the connection between your computer and the Switch.

My COM# is COM3 in this example; however, in your case it will perhaps be different and will say ICX7150-Swithc or similar.

Start>type device manager>open>Ports (COM &LPT)

Yarenis_11-1668180266924.png

Yarenis_12-1668180266932.png

*Now you know the COM number, let’s open the putty Application:

Start>type the putty>open > select the serial>change the COM # with the same you found previously>Open> now you will gain access to the CLI if the Switch via console/serial.

Yarenis_13-1668180266955.png

Yarenis_14-1668180266957.png

*After you press open from the Putty APP, a Putty session will prompt like this:

boot>

*Let’s run the next set of commands to configure the Switch.

“setenv ipaddr 192.168.0.3”                       (assign an IP address to the switch, As you see I just change the last digit instead 2 as my computer I used 3)

"setenv gatewayip 192.168.0.2"                                          (default gateway of your network, which will be your own computer as well)

“setenv netmask 255.255.255.0”                  (net mask belonging to the network, matching with the same found from the CMD)

“setenv serverip 192.168.0.2”                   (enter the IP address of the TFTP server, means the computer wire to the Switch on the management port)

"printenv"                                                              (check the values you recently change)

- Enter command saveenv to save the changes

"saveenv"

“ping 192.168.0.2”                                      (ping to test connectivity to your network Computer IP)

Note: the ping response should say alive, if the response is "is not alive", it means that there is no connectivity between the computer and your Switch, so you cannot move forward, note that the connection that creates the Connectivity between the computer and your Switch, is the Ethernet cable connected from the Out-of-band management port on the Switch to the Ethernet port on your computer, and the IP address you configured in your computer and the Switch (computer's IP 192.168.0.2) (Switch'IP 192.168.0.3)

Yarenis_0-1672328011006.png

Yarenis_2-1672328049742.png

Example of the computer's IP address and the configuration of the Switch

Yarenis_0-1672329293180.png

*Now you have configured the Switch and you have connectivity to the Computer/Server, let’s run the software recovery, which is basically performing an upgrade while the Switch it’s in boot mode.

Let run the next set of commands:

“setenv image_name SPS08090k.bin”                                        (enter the correct image file name)

“update_primary”                                                           (upload the image on the primary partition)

Yarenis_16-1668180266964.png

“setenv image_name SPS08090k.bin”                                        (enter the correct image file name)

“update_secondary”                                                           (upload the image on the secondary partition)

Yarenis_1-1672673186408.png

*Wait that loads the image and continue with the boot:

“setenv uboot mnz10115.bin”                                                    (enter the correct boot file name)

“update_uboot”                                                                      (upload the boot code)

Yarenis_17-1668180266966.png

* Wait that loads the boot and continue with the Final command reset:

“reset”             (finally enter reset to reload the unit)

Yarenis_18-1668180266967.png

Tutorial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHriOYYD_iI

How to perform a Software Recovery Article?

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000006823

Best regards,

Jayavidhya

Lennar Home Community

Hi there! Thanks for the help. I'm stuck on the step #2 the below step

2-After successfully installing the Mac Drivers, open the Mac terminal, when you see the command prompt do the following:

Enter this command:

ls /dev/cu.*

This command will display something like this:

One of those logs will say something similar to /dev/cu.SiLabs_Serial (which is related to the drivers you installed)

I successfully installed all the drivers but when I try the command ls /dev/cu.*  it only returns the below

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

My Mac only supports USB-c input and I used an USBc to USBc cable for connection. Could it be a connection issue?

Hi @tiago1984 

As per the information you have shared the name of the driver installed  is/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

Using the name of the installed driver please enter the following command  that was displayed:

For example: screen /dev/cu.SiLabs_Serial 9600

4-Hit Enter and you will have access to the ICX7150’s CLI.  (Command Line)

Video link as reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AcJokMm78U

Then follow the step 5 to perform the software recovery process.

. Let’s download the firmware, we require performing the software recovery.

Note:I will download the 08090k firmware using the file named SPS08090k.bin for image, I will advise using the same, and when you take the switch out of boot mode, please upgrade to the recommended 08095g UFI code, with the file named SPS08095gufi.bin and upgrades both partitions primary/secondary.

Link: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software

Look for the scroll bar, (Choose Product) and select ICX7150>downloads>choose the code>I will choose 08090k>downloads>agree the terms>download.

Yarenis_2-1668180266865.png

Yarenis_3-1668180266867.png

Yarenis_4-1668180266868.png

Yarenis_0-1668201686515.png

Yarenis_6-1668180266875.png

*Now that you have downloaded the firmware, unzip the file and create a folder, then paste only the following two files: boot and image, in my example I will use the 08090k firmware, so look the main folder for the directory that belongs to the same Switch model you have ICX7150, there are subdirectories, look for boot and image files, and copy and paste (in the folder you have created) the following files names.

For Boot: mnz10115.bin

For Image: SPS08090k.bin

Note: you can see in my example I searched from my downloads>file 08090k (The code I downloaded and Unzip>ICX7150>now you can see the subdirectories I have mentioned, then copy the two files (boot and Image) to the new folder you have created, I named mine Upgrade.

Yarenis_7-1668180266880.png

Yarenis_8-1668180266884.png

1: Now we have all the applications downloaded and the firmware, Let’s configure your Computer’s IP address, this must be statically assigned in order to have connectivity to your switch, remember you have an Ethernet cable from your computer to the Management port in the switch, so we require configure the computer with the same subnet.

Start>type control panel>View network status and Task>change adapter setting>Ethernet>right click properties>Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4)>Select Use the following IP address>insert the same information I have>Click OK

Yarenis_0-1672328726806.png

2: Now let’s prepare your TFTP server:

Start>type TFTP>Open

A: Select the path with the folder you have created named Upgrade:

Hit browse>download>Upgrade>OK

B: Select the server interfaces as the IP address you configured for your computer:192.168.0.2

Scroll Server interfaces>choose the one you configured statically in your computer

Yarenis_10-1668180266907.png

Note: after configuring the TFTP server Application, this one must remain open during all process.

3: Now that the TFTP application is set up, let’s open putty to gain access to the Switch and star the software recovery, however before open putty we need to know the COM# your computer have assigned for the connection between your Computer to the Switch’s console port.

Let’s find the COM#, then use the Putty APP to access the CLI of the Switch.

Note: The COM it’s basically a number that the computer assigned when there are external devices connected, in our case will be the connection between your computer and the Switch.

My COM# is COM3 in this example; however, in your case it will perhaps be different and will say ICX7150-Swithc or similar.

Start>type device manager>open>Ports (COM &LPT)

Yarenis_11-1668180266924.png

Yarenis_12-1668180266932.png

*Now you know the COM number, let’s open the putty Application:

Start>type the putty>open > select the serial>change the COM # with the same you found previously>Open> now you will gain access to the CLI if the Switch via console/serial.

Yarenis_13-1668180266955.png

Yarenis_14-1668180266957.png

*After you press open from the Putty APP, a Putty session will prompt like this:

boot>

*Let’s run the next set of commands to configure the Switch.

“setenv ipaddr 192.168.0.3”                       (assign an IP address to the switch, As you see I just change the last digit instead 2 as my computer I used 3)

"setenv gatewayip 192.168.0.2"                                          (default gateway of your network, which will be your own computer as well)

“setenv netmask 255.255.255.0”                  (net mask belonging to the network, matching with the same found from the CMD)

“setenv serverip 192.168.0.2”                   (enter the IP address of the TFTP server, means the computer wire to the Switch on the management port)

"printenv"                                                              (check the values you recently change)

- Enter command saveenv to save the changes

"saveenv"

“ping 192.168.0.2”                                      (ping to test connectivity to your network Computer IP)

Note: the ping response should say alive, if the response is "is not alive", it means that there is no connectivity between the computer and your Switch, so you cannot move forward, note that the connection that creates the Connectivity between the computer and your Switch, is the Ethernet cable connected from the Out-of-band management port on the Switch to the Ethernet port on your computer, and the IP address you configured in your computer and the Switch (computer's IP 192.168.0.2) (Switch'IP 192.168.0.3)

Yarenis_0-1672328011006.png

Yarenis_2-1672328049742.png

Example of the computer's IP address and the configuration of the Switch

Yarenis_0-1672329293180.png

*Now you have configured the Switch and you have connectivity to the Computer/Server, let’s run the software recovery, which is basically performing an upgrade while the Switch it’s in boot mode.

Let run the next set of commands:

“update_primary”                                                           (upload the image on the primary partition)

Yarenis_16-1668180266964.png

“update_secondary”                                                           (upload the image on the secondary partition)

Yarenis_1-1672673186408.png

*Wait that loads the image and continue with the boot:

“setenv uboot mnz10115.bin”                                                    (enter the correct boot file name)

“update_uboot”                                                                      (upload the boot code)

Yarenis_17-1668180266966.png

* Wait that loads the boot and continue with the Final command reset:

“reset”             (finally enter reset to reload the unit)

Yarenis_18-1668180266967.png

Tutorial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHriOYYD_iI

How to perform a Software Recovery Article?

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000006823

Best regards,

Jayavidhya

Lennar Home Community

HI, I was able to access the switch now and installed the firmware and moved to the upgrade folder the 2 files mentioned but I can't proceed further as your example is using a windows and Im in a MacOS system. Is there a way to send step by step how to do in a MacOS system?

Im talking about this step onwards:

Appreciate