cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New homeowner: how to power and onboard WAP?

mcmessina3
New Contributor

I just moved into a Lennar home and there were three WAPs that look like this in the home: (picture link). I connected one to a new internet switch (model number TP-Link TL-SG105) and also connected my modem to the switch. I'm not seeing power go to the WAP via the power over ethernet cable. What else must I do to power the WAP? I tried to factory reset the unit, but I did not see any indicator lights. Please assist with this request; any installation or initialization steps would be appreciated. Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

Hi @mcmessina3 

Greetings!!!

I hope this message finds you well.

Thank you for your response and the update.

Based on the information provided, it appears that the switch you are utilizing may not support PoE (Power over Ethernet), which means it does not have the capability to transmit power to the Wireless Access Points (WAPs). As mentioned in my previous communication, in the event that the switch lacks PoE functionality, it is necessary to connect an external 12 VDC power adapter to the RUCKUS WAPs in order to supply power to them.

Should you have any further inquiries or require additional assistance regarding this matter, please feel free to reach out.

Thank you once again for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi  
RUCKUS Lennar Home Community

mcmessina3
New Contributor

Thank you for your investigation and response. I failed to realize that the switch I ordered does not support PoE. I just ordered a new switch that should support PoE (model number is TP-Link TL-SF1005P). I will give this a try and also try to remember to keep this thread updated. I will receive the switch next week sometime. Thanks again for your help.

Hi @mcmessina3

Greetings!!!

Thank you for the response and the update.

Sure, please let me know if you need any help.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi 

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community