cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lennar Connected Home ICX 7150-c12p R510 AP Setup

james_largent
New Contributor
I purchased a Lennar home with a ICX 7150 and R510 AP.  The wifi signal was broadcasting the Lennar assigned SSID and the ConfigureME-XXXX.  I downloaded the android app and connected to the ConfigureME net and followed the steps.  That's where I'm stuck.  I don't see the SSID I assigned during setup.  I can connect to the AP with Lennar provided password, but I don't get an external IP.  I had an old wireless router and it works, so I know the connection is good thru the modem.  When I go back to the mobile app and try to access the app it says I'm not connected to the network and then takes me to the network settings.  When I did the initial setup with the Unleashed APP, I picked the typical install.

I've done router setup for other manufactures, but this has me stumped.  Can someone point me to the documentation or explain how I can get this configured and maybe explain what I did in the setup with the mobile app?
44 REPLIES 44

hayward_kong
Contributor III
And what broadband speed are you subscribing to Comcast?

andrew_om
New Contributor
I have the same set up in a Lennar home using xfinity gig speed connection and I run into the same issue as the original poster. I have a Netgear CM1100 modem going to the ICX 7150 switch which connects to the R510 router through POE.

I've tried setting up the r510 using typical mode and gateway mode but both run into issues. Typical gives me an error that says no IP address is assigned and I cannot access the unleashed web UI. Setup using gateway mode allows me to access the unleashed web UI but there's no internet. I get a DNS unreachable error. I am not sure what is wrong.

Hardwiring directly to the modem works fine. Hardwiring to the switch works as well. I can connect to the internet. Any ideas on a fix? I have put in a ticket through Lennar but they won't be here for a week. I was hoping to get this resolved on my own but I am not that technical.

hayward_kong
Contributor III
Hi frkmnky,

First of all, I recommend you get a wired router since the netgear cm1100 is only a modem. Do you have any previous wireless router from your older home? The ruckus r510 does best when only used as an access point only.  Besides if you setup the r510 as a gateway, you would need to run a 2nd Ethernet cable to the r510...... anyway I discourage running the r510 in gateway mode.

So basically your setup should be coaxial cable —>  netgear cm1100 —>  wired/wireless router (with WiFi turned off if it has WiFi) —> ICX switch —-> r510 

If you want recommendations of a wired router let me know.... so that is one piece you are missing since other Lennar home owners I know are renting their modem/router/WiFi equipment from their ISP and then I recommend them turning  off the WiFi on the modem/router/WiFi combo unit.

Hi.
I've been following this thread.
I to have a Lennar home with 1 switch and 2 R510's.
I am using Cox as my ISP
I have a combined Modem/Router from Cox.
I have chosen to keep the WiFi on from that unit as the WiFi of choice for the portable devices such as phones, iPads etc.
The networks from the R510's are used only by the Smart Home devices.
Is this a reasonable application for this setup.
I didn't like the traffic generated by mobile devices logging in and out possibly upsetting the static devices in the home.

So, I was just wondering why you would recommend turning off the ISP's WiFi.
Thank, Gregg

Hi Greg,

The reason why I recommend turning off the WiFi on the combo modem WiFi router is because

1). It will generate more RF inference for the R510s
2)) it’s redundant and not needed
3) The r510s more reliable with the exception of using unleashed firmware 200.7.x.. in the process of tracing down the WiFi speed bug in that firmware.
4) normally speed is superior over consumer/isp WiFi
5) can easily handle over 100 WiFi mobile devices per AP
6) works great in high density WiFi situations likes schools which have a lot of mobile devices
7) most consumer /isp WiFi devices can handle at most 50 devices

However that bug I talked about is ruining that experience with many new Lennar home owners. Which is why I recommend sticking with firmware 200.6.x firmware until WiFi speed issue gets resolved since it doesn’t happen to everyone.

R510 can deal with mobile devices easily logging on and off without upsetting the static home devices but again I recommend 200.6.x firmware for now. If you got the home some march of 2019 it more likely has 200.7.x and I recommend rolling back to 200.6.x. I’m just not sure how computer savvy you are.

Note: Ruckus APs are enterprise grade WiFi access points so they are pretty rock solid in general with the exception of firmware 200.7.x

I’ve been using ruckus since 2014 and deployed them to small schools, small business, high end home user homes and apartment buildings.