cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus Cloud DPSK across multiple Access Points

john_nickell_74
New Contributor III

Before I open a ticket could someone tell me if DPSK in Ruckus Cloud should work across multiple Access Points.  

I've setup an employee SSID to use Ruckus Cloud DPSK service. This was working fine in my test with a single AP. I've now begun rolling out the production APs and when my device is in a 'new' location it won't connect to the DPSK network. The client (Android phone) says check password and try again. The AP in Ruckus Cloud doesn't appear to be registering an attempted connection.

Was thinking that since the DPSK was in the cloud and all the AP's are working off the same Ruckus Cloud SSID and DPSK service that the client would be able to roam across AP's.  Am I missing something?

-- edit --

Adding to this that when I returned to the original location/AP. I'm getting the same thing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi John,

A true 802.11 roaming is when client doesn't have to do the complete eapol along with 4 way handshake to generate the new keys, instead use the existing roaming technics to use same keys and skip 4 way handshake. In this type of roaming client re-associates to AP2, rather then disconnect from AP1 and connect to AP2.

This reduces the time a client needs to reestablish the connection with 2nd AP, thus useful in delay sensitive applications.

There are different technics used for roaming in Wi-Fi.

If you configure two SSIDs with same name and passphrase on two different venues, then client will move from one to  another AP (in different venues) but that is not a roaming, that is a disconnection from AP1 on venue A, to new connection on AP1 on venue B.

For your setup if you want to use same DPSK keys for all the APs, keep all the APs in same venue, that is the only way.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi John,

If APs are part of same Cloud account, venue, and DPSK keys are for same WLAN, they should work.

A venue is like a zone and APs are part of this zone/venue. Roaming will work for all the APs which are part of the same venue.

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn

john_nickell_74
New Contributor III

Could you double-check the Venue constraint. I will need to reconsider my layout if this indeed true. Support has not yet followed up on my request. I re-added my personal DPSK on my phone yesterday and didn't reproduce the issue during the day, but I didn't leave the venue's space either. Can test that tomorrow.

Hi John,

I can double confirm, as long as APs are part of same venue, roaming and DPSK both should work for the same WLAN.

For example, a venue called "Venue1" has 3 APs (AP-A, B and C) in it with one WLAN and DPSK is enabled. If your client connects to AP-A using DPSK key and later moved to AP-B or C, client should be able to roam (assuming APs have enough overlap in their coverage with each other) and same DPSK key will work.  

If you have a open case with RUCKUS Support, please share the case number.

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn

john_nickell_74
New Contributor III

Based on what support told me (case # 01561904) roaming on the same WLAN between Venues will work, just not as smoothly. 

Roaming between Venues is nomadic as the APs do not talk to each other (users will roam but not as smoothly). Hence the user will DC and then RC when they roam between APs of different venues.

Based on Support and your comments I restructured my setup to have a single venue for all of the buildings in close proximity and used AP groups for the buildings themselves. As of this morning when I came back in my phone connected w/o issue to the DPSK backed network so I don't have a good explanation for what happened earlier as I hadn't changed anything on the client.