cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus Cloud DPSK across multiple Access Points

john_nickell_74
New Contributor III

Before I open a ticket could someone tell me if DPSK in Ruckus Cloud should work across multiple Access Points.  

I've setup an employee SSID to use Ruckus Cloud DPSK service. This was working fine in my test with a single AP. I've now begun rolling out the production APs and when my device is in a 'new' location it won't connect to the DPSK network. The client (Android phone) says check password and try again. The AP in Ruckus Cloud doesn't appear to be registering an attempted connection.

Was thinking that since the DPSK was in the cloud and all the AP's are working off the same Ruckus Cloud SSID and DPSK service that the client would be able to roam across AP's.  Am I missing something?

-- edit --

Adding to this that when I returned to the original location/AP. I'm getting the same thing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi John,

A true 802.11 roaming is when client doesn't have to do the complete eapol along with 4 way handshake to generate the new keys, instead use the existing roaming technics to use same keys and skip 4 way handshake. In this type of roaming client re-associates to AP2, rather then disconnect from AP1 and connect to AP2.

This reduces the time a client needs to reestablish the connection with 2nd AP, thus useful in delay sensitive applications.

There are different technics used for roaming in Wi-Fi.

If you configure two SSIDs with same name and passphrase on two different venues, then client will move from one to  another AP (in different venues) but that is not a roaming, that is a disconnection from AP1 on venue A, to new connection on AP1 on venue B.

For your setup if you want to use same DPSK keys for all the APs, keep all the APs in same venue, that is the only way.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi John,

A true 802.11 roaming is when client doesn't have to do the complete eapol along with 4 way handshake to generate the new keys, instead use the existing roaming technics to use same keys and skip 4 way handshake. In this type of roaming client re-associates to AP2, rather then disconnect from AP1 and connect to AP2.

This reduces the time a client needs to reestablish the connection with 2nd AP, thus useful in delay sensitive applications.

There are different technics used for roaming in Wi-Fi.

If you configure two SSIDs with same name and passphrase on two different venues, then client will move from one to  another AP (in different venues) but that is not a roaming, that is a disconnection from AP1 on venue A, to new connection on AP1 on venue B.

For your setup if you want to use same DPSK keys for all the APs, keep all the APs in same venue, that is the only way.

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn

Thank you for the additional info.  Hopefully the new configuration should support the proper 'roam'.

It will support roaming as long as APs are on same venue (for same WLAN).

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn

Also, your phone got connected without any issues because that is expected. APs are on same venue and thus your DPSK key is valid for all the APs where DPSK SSID is broadcasting.

This is completely expected and as per system design.

It seems the recommendation of moving the APs to same venue fixed your problem here.

If the recommendation helped, please accept the appropriate reply as "Accepted Solution" to help us mark this thread as "Answered".

Thank you.

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn

I re-added the DPSK to my client device and it hasn't 'failed' since re-adding it (Monday morning). That was before re-arranging the setup though (Tuesday evening). I was not on site Tuesday.