cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are realistic expectations for r610 throughput?

paul_hunt_5twa8
New Contributor
I'm running 3 r610 APs configured through Ruckus Cloud Wifi.  The site has gigabit internet (gig speed down, ~30 meg up).  Wired speed tests give me about 915 down but through wireless my speeds are much slower - 530 down is the best I got so far.  These devices can do 1300 Mbps, and I know there is network overhead so I won't get the full amount, but I'm surprised this speed isn't up around 700 or 800.  Is this too much to expect from r610 APs?  Does anyone else get higher speeds and if so, how did you get there?

-Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

phal_nanda
Contributor
Hi there Paul, 
create a 5GHz specific SSID, set up the channel width for 5GHz radios in your venue to 80MHz, grab a Pixel3 or latest MBP, make sure you connect to that 5GHz SSID (all this is to make sure your client and AP are on the best performance setting), and test away. Finally, download Ruckus SpeedFlex mobile app (its free) to test the air performance between AP and Client, to see what you can get irrespective of your WAN connection. 

cheers
Phal

brian_powers
New Contributor III
As Phal stated, it depends on three real factors.  SSID configuration.  Client capabilities and cleanliness of the RF environment. 

The R610 is 3x3:3, meaning as you stated it can achieve a mac MCS rate of ~1300 Mbps. 

You can configure an 80 MHz wide channel SSID but if your client device is only 2x2:2 or 1x1:1 or does not support 80 MHz wide channels, it will be your limiting factor. Basically the least common denominator would decide the max achievable data rate (MCS Index - http://mcsindex.com)

Likewise if you configure an 80 MHz wide channel but 20/40 of it is highly saturated by other networks within range, you would most likely see a drastic reduction in throughput as wireless is very much a shared medium. 

Even in pristine conditions and assuming your client is 3x3:3 capable as well, you'd only ever get maybe 70% of that 1300 Mbps rate at best.  And more than likely it'd be somewhere between ~50
and 70% of the spectral efficiency. 

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
Agree with Brian. You have to be realistic about your environment, your AP & your test device. Honestly, to get 1300Mbps data rate would mean you need to maintain super high SNR while also being in a position to Tx on 3 spatial streams (not just have a device that support it). And these are the things that are in your control!

Then start thinking about the fact that its a shared medium, do you think you would get 915Mbps download on the wire if your machine was connected to a hub? You have no idea who else could be using that spectrum at the same time, if you are lucky, its on the pilot channel of the 80MHz and CCA kicks in. If not, its on one of the bonded channels and your client gets interference and doesn't ACK.

IMO, if you are getting 500+Mbps on a single client your doing well. 

Correct, and the 1300 Mbps also dictates that you would be using 160 MHz channels, something of which nobody would realistically use. Marketing mumbo jumbo.