cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

protocol error, doesn't start with scp!

tj_renna
New Contributor II
in lieu of any actual ansible modules, i am trying to make raw ssh commands work to an ICX 7750 switch, but even "ssh "show version"" fails with the following error "Protocol error, doesn't start with scp!".  This works on Cisco devices.  How can i enable the ssh service on the switch, or the ssh client to make this functionality work?  
20 REPLIES 20

jeff_fishbaugh
New Contributor
Umm -- I call foul. There is a ansible module for ICX. I downloaded it off the Ruckus website -- the modules DO NOT work with ansible because of the poor ssh implementation. I get the protocol error as well and it's because the ssh implementation is garbage. Don't release ansible modules unless you can actually prove they work. SSH is such a non-standard implementation I could not even generate working skeys with standard ssh. I had to use pagent. The Ruckus device takes the keys but it says they are in an invalid format  BTW, don't release ansible modules if they don't actually work with your code -- https://docs.arris.com/bundle/icx-ansible-v1.0-developerguide/page/GUID-6364D502-0949-49A7-8A8E-0FC7... 

Hi Jeff,

Please open a ticket so our TAC can take your specifics and file a bug.  Engineering gave me the Ansible for ICX after QA testing (on whatever platforms I don't know...).  Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks Michael. I appreciate your response. I will open a ticket, though I really do not have the time for it nor do I have time to work with your devs on a resolution and won't be. We are running switch code that is recommended by Ruckus. I am just a tad annoyed you all have this posted on your website and the ansible modules as a download but they don't work even with a current release of switch code Ruckus is currently recommending. You guys really need to vet your code and do better regression testing before releasing it.

Your message has been shared with our DE/QA, thanks Jeff.

hans_peter_bpw9
New Contributor II
I want to use ansible. But get still errors. However I activate scp with ip ssh scp enable.

ESTABLISH SSH CONNECTION FOR USER: paul
SSH: EXEC ssh -C -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPersist=60s -o Port=22 -o KbdInteractiveAuthentication=no -o PreferredAuthentications=gssapi-with-mic,gssapi-keyex,hostbased,publickey -o PasswordAuthentication=no -o 'User="paul"' -o ConnectTimeout=10 -o ControlPath=/home/paul/.ansible/cp/0cd120e3a6 ip '/bin/sh -c '"'"'echo ~paul && sleep 0'"'"''
(0, "\x01Protocol error, doesn't start with scp!\n", '')
ESTABLISH SSH CONNECTION FOR USER: paul
SSH: EXEC ssh -C -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPersist=60s -o Port=22 -o KbdInteractiveAuthentication=no -o PreferredAuthentications=gssapi-with-mic,gssapi-keyex,hostbased,publickey -o PasswordAuthentication=no -o 'User="paul"' -o ConnectTimeout=10 -o ControlPath=/home/paul/.ansible/cp/0cd120e3a6 ip '/bin/sh -c '"'"'( umask 77 && mkdir -p "` echo Protocol error, doesn'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'t start with scp!/.ansible/tmp/ansible-tmp-1581501387.07-244000557146989 `" && echo ansible-tmp-1581501387.07-244000557146989="` echo Protocol error, doesn'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'t start with scp!/.ansible/tmp/ansible-tmp-1581501387.07-244000557146989 `" ) && sleep 0'"'"''
(255, '', '')
ip | UNREACHABLE! => {
    "changed": false,
    "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: ",
    "unreachable": true
}