cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What takes priority Ruckus ICX 7150-24 Switch OR ZD 1200 in allocating the Switch's power budget?

peter_w_9h7tcet
Contributor II
New to ZDs and PoE.  Have both of these items on order and just selecting APs to complete my network upgrade project.  I'm just wondering whether the ZD will somehow control the Switch's power budget or whether that can be done elsewhere? 

Certain ZoneFlex APs draw more power with a regular Power Supply.  Is it therefore better just to plug them in to a power socket where you can?

Many thanks. 
4 REPLIES 4

simon_pollard
Contributor II
Hi Peter

ICX switches are not managed by ZD and therefore do not have a role in PoE power allocation or configuration, this is done via the switch.

The 7150-24P has a PoE power budget of 370W and this will be allocated until it is exhausted, for details of the PoE configuration and allocation please refer to the ICX management config guide https://docs.arris.com/bundle/fastiron-08090-managementguide/page/GUID-36148BA0-4CDB-4551-9463-C1ABD... 

If you can let us know the type and quantity of the APs that you plan to connect to the switch we will be able to determine if there will be sufficient power budget.

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor
Hi Peter,

Depending on the age of your APs and the capability of your PoE switch we are implementing PoE configuration improvements using LLDP between Ruckus APs and ICX PoE switches.

Alternatively check the datasheet of the Ruckus APs you have, to see what the peak power draw of those APs is and set a PoE power limit on the ports of your PoE switch. 

E.g. 802.3af PoE is 15.4W per port and this will usually be allocated by the PoE switch regardless of the actual power requirement of the AP.  In the case of Ruckus R320 the data sheet states the max PoE draw is 12.18W. Therefore a maximum of 13W PoE power can be applied to a port with a Ruckus R320 AP connected.

I hope that helps,
Darrel.

peter_w_9h7tcet
Contributor II
Many thanks both the switch I have on order is the 7150-12P compact which has 124W power budget.  My current plan is five R720s and three lower specification APs, but this is not absolutely finalized.  2 of the APs will may need a little extra range and I was planning to allocate them more power if available.  I can see that the R720s may strain the switch's power budget as they draw up to 25 Watts on max power.  

simon_pollard
Contributor II
Hi Peter

The 7150-C12P has sufficient PoE budget to power up to eight R720s but only if a single radio is used which is not optimal for performance, if you want to use all 4 radios then only four R720s can be supported. Details of the R720 power consumption are on the datasheet https://webresources.ruckuswireless.com/datasheets/r720/ds-ruckus-r720.pdf

Five R720s plus three additional smaller APs on a C12P is going to be very tight on PoE power so will need careful configuration.