cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus ICX 7150 with R510 AP seems unstable

kc_luchsinger
New Contributor III
I've had this installed now for about a year without issue, but in the last few months it seems to have destabilized.  The R510 seems to occasionally switch off and reboot, and the switch will occasionally lose all communications with the rest of the network, requiring a hard reboot of the switch to get it to start communicating again.  The AP is running PoE, but I've checked the PoE allowance, and there is power to spare, so I'm not over-taxing the PoE allotment, and Spanning-tree is on so it should eliminate loop-backs. 

This is a sporadic problem, so it's hard to trouble shoot (it rarely fails when I have bunches of free-time, usually when I need to leave in 5 minutes, and I'm already late), so what can I do to further find the source of this problem?
9 REPLIES 9

itdept_head_me
Contributor
58 Deg. c  i would say it might be ok if that is peak.

check the manufacturers data sheets,  not for environmental specs, but  log temps  that are considered "normal"

Did you have any luck  splitting it off thru another switch?
also maybe an NTP so your logs show real date & time info, incase that assists in tracking it down.

jijo_panangat
RUCKUS Team Member
Hello,

Did you encounter any power outage or power fluctuations at the site ? We can perform a health check on the switch if a support case can be opened.

Thanks
Jijo  

kc_luchsinger
New Contributor III
Caveman: I haven't actually done the physical labor of splitting off the AP From the switch yet, but I will get to that when I have a chance, but it may be a few days yet.  I will try to get the NTP Set up, thanks for the suggestion.

Jijo: At current, I haven't seen any additional power fluctuations, but historically, after a reboot, it seems to hold stable for awhile, a few weeks before it starts to fluctuate.  I'm just trying to keep my eyes on it and get as much in place for the next time it destabilizes so I can gather info.  Then I'll likely open a case.  I want to make sure it's not something I'm doing or introducing first (no offense, but I've not had great experiences with Ruckus Tech Support in the past, so I try not to involve them unless I absolutely have to).

Alright, Pls let us know when you get a chance to collect more info.
Sorry to hear about the past experience, We'll ensure a better overall experience if you can give us another chance.

Thanks
Jijo 

itdept_head_me
Contributor
yep.. watch the controller it might be like   cisco...  no battery backed RTC

Another option is to throw in a vm with  "WAZUH" or "naigos" on, to act as log servers... &  central NTP maybe a 10-15 minute job.

Sadly from what I have seen certaninly with the 1205
log serves won't work reliably with RUCKUS kit,  their log design is rubbish.(im calling it  this after filing a request back in 2014 & 2020 to get it fixed)

They allow sub processes of thier kit to report directly without  proper device identification stamps.
so if you have a network of a more than 3 deviecs.... good luck of sorting & filtering their log output.
Every line is  tagged differently.... , not way to reliably "tree" filter.....

on your other point ,
I've had real good exp. with Ruckus. tech. mind you that was before they got bought out,...
I just returned from retirement..., so lets see how it goes...
Dell sonicwall is far worse.. for outright blocking bugs. they just say "as design" & then close the tickets....