cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No option to add uplink on dual ports on ICX 7250

david_moseley_5
New Contributor II
First post. I'm setting up a VLAN. I have 2 ICX-6450-48P switches and an ICX-7250-48P switch. I configured them from the web interface. Please don't flame cuz I don't use the CLI for everything. thanks. On the 6450s on ports 1/2/3 and 1/2/4 I have them configured as dual mode on VLAN 1 and uplink on VLAN 5. Works great. passes both tagged and untagged traffic. Acts like a "trunk" port which is what I want. But on the 7250, I have added those ports as dual  mode on VLAN 1, and tagged the traffic for VLAN 5, but then I don't have the option to add the ports as "uplink ports" for vlan 5. Nothing else seems to be different. Am I missing something super obvious? Ports 1/2/7 and 1/2/8 on the 7250 don't forward the tagged vlan 5 packets it seems. 
8 REPLIES 8

david_moseley_5
New Contributor II
Thanks, Ben. And both 6450s are configured the same way and they pass all traffic between them. Disregard that vlan 2. I was testing on it. 

BenBeck
I would get rid of the uplink switch command. It will cause you problems:

enable
conf t
vlan 5
no uplink-switch eth 1/2/1 to 1/2/4

It looks like you have vlan 5 tagged between the two switches. So that should work. The clients in those vlans should likely be untagged vlan 5 though. So lets say you have a vlan 5 client on 1/1/1 of the 6450. You would do this:

enable
conf t
vlan 5
untagged eth 1/1/1

That untagged vlan 5 traffic would land on 1/1/1 and then could traverse the link to the 7250 as tagged (converted in switch)
Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

david_moseley_5
New Contributor II
True, except the only clients I'm configuring are wireless access points which will have SSIDs on vlan 1 and vlan 5, so I have to treat the ports the APs are plugged into as "trunk ports" as well. I'll try removing uplink from the ports and see if that helps. Thank you. 

BenBeck
Got it. So "trunk" in Cisco terms is 'tagged' in ICX. In Cisco, a trunk port allows tagged traffic from all vlans by default. For ICXs, we tag ports to vlans. It's a little more granular on the ICX side. I believe your config should look like this then:

conf t
vlan 5
tagged eth

interface ethernet
dual-mode (vlan 1 is assumed since it is the default vlan)

In addition, if you are running the default vlan across the switches, you will need to dual mode the appropriate ports between the switches:

conf t
interface ethernet
dual-mode

Hope that helps!
Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us