cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICX6450 Stacking Question

jonathan_mchugh
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have 6 ICX 6450 in a stack. 3 on one floor and 3 on another floor. We're no longer leasing 1 of the floors and therefore consolidating everything. The 3 switches that need to be moved are acting as the active and standby switches with all others being members. What would be the best way to move these switches?

Should I make one of the switches NOT being moved the active switch and reload the stack before unplugging those switches to be moved? Or can I just unplug them and move them without doing anything? Not sure what happens to the stack when it loses both active and standby switches.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

jonathan_mchugh
New Contributor II
Man I do appreciate the help. I'll probably just stay late one night and set the new master and just reload the whole stack. I think they've been up for like 540 days anyway so probably wouldn't hurt to give them a reboot.

Good luck with all those firewall changes.

BenBeck
Hey Jonathan. You should not need to restart the stack at any point. Simply make sure you have hitless failover enabled and then you can change the priorities at will without reloads. "show stack" output will show you exactly what is happening in regards to master, standby, syncing protocols, etc. My advice would be to manually swap over active and standby prior to shutting down the units. 
Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

jonathan_mchugh
New Contributor II

That's what I'll do then. Enable hitless failover, then change my priorities. Thanks so much everyone!