cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7105 with Layer 3 setup as a simple Layer 2 functionality.

chuck_inclema
New Contributor II
I have never configured Ruckus ICX switches and have inherited 6 Ruckus, 5 layer 2 and 1 Layer 3 switch that are being implemented in a new building. The client wants the layer 3 switch to be the primary switch in a single subnet network. Can a Ruckus Layer 3 licensed switch be configured to run like a basic switch?  Everything I have read states that each port needs to be it's own subnet. I have removed the startup config and reloaded to make sure the switch doesn't not have any left over config information from someone else. Can someone tell me if and how I can make this switch behave like a basic switch with minimal routing? Any command explanation would be great. I have some Cisco knowledge, which I have tried to use to understand the Ruckus CLI, but it is not getting me to where I need to be.

This network is going to be very small and the customer is requesting all ports in the building be available even though that is not necessary or secure in my opinion.  That is the only reason they have 6 switches. They will have less than 100 devices on the network.

Thanks for any basic information. If it makes sense, I would be interested in talking to an subcontracting an expert to do the basic install of that switch.

Chuck
4 REPLIES 4

tim_brumbaugh
Contributor
Running the L3 code on the core is not a problem.  You can route on individual ports if you wanted but it is really no different than the L2 code on the ports.  If you setup the switch with a vlan and then create a VE (virtual interface for that vlan) it gets an ip address and can route traffic.  The ports are just untagged on the vlan and their default gateway is pointed at the switches ip address.  The switch has a default route that points to the firewall and the firewall would need a back route to point to the switch for any subnets, or you could turn on OSPF (routing protocol on both the firewall and switch) and let routing do the work for you.  What version of code are you running makes a difference and also if you are using VOIP phones on different subnets etc.

chuck_inclema
New Contributor II
Tim Thanks for the reply.  Below is the information about the switch. I have to learn the commands to create the VLANs, Virtual Interface and the route information. I can make the default route on the Firewall.  I will try to figure the commands. 

Copyright (c) 2017 Ruckus Wireless, Inc. All rights reserved.
    UNIT 1: compiled on Nov 16 2017 at 06:20:47 labeled as SPR08070B13
      (29326316 bytes) from Primary SPR08070B13.bin
        SW: Version 08.0.70B13T213
      Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.11T225 (mnz10111b012)
       Compiled on Mon Nov 13 11:15:24 2017

HW: Stackable ICX7150-48Z-HPOE

hashim_bharooc1
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Chuck,

You are running an old code 8070b.  I would recommend 8070f.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Hashim

jijo_panangat
RUCKUS Team Member
Hi chuck,

You may refer the below link for config guides and release notes.  

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/products/108-brocade-icx-7150-campus-switches