cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Roaming not work, and users disconnect constantly even not move around.

javier_sanchez_
New Contributor II
I have a network with 16 AP (10 R500 and 6 R300) and a 1200 controller,2 SSID with WPA/AES and i need use a softphone but i have the next issue with some users:
All the Iphone ́s was disconnect constantly
An a Samsung Note 4 lost wifi signal and block the wifi networks when it moves of a R500 to a R300 (We need to turn on and off the airplane mode to resolve the issue)
More than 10 users with laptops HP and wireless card ralink rt3290 can not connect with the network (i upgrade the drivers and some laptops can connect now but the navigation on the net was terrible slow)
When i walk through the office and change of one AP to another and if i am in a call this ends, and the use of softphone it is very important in this project.

I hope anyone can help me.
33 REPLIES 33

bill_burns_6069
Contributor III
If "force dhcp" turns out not to be your problem, ask your support rep if the "smartroam" feature is appropriate for your location/application.

john_d
Valued Contributor II
I'm a little afraid that if his issue involves users disconnecting already, SmartRoam might only serve to make that worse. 

Yes. That could be. (which is why I hedged by asking him to consult w/ ruckus support)
..but my reading (which could be incorrect) was that he had (both) difficulties w/ devices that were physically roaming and having a "stuck client" issue as well as stationary devices that were losing connectivity.

If he's got an environment where the client devices are very uniform/controlled, he may have options for reconfiguring wireless preferences on every device that needs to run a soft-phone.
(and that may be necessary for a soft-phone environment)
..or maybe he has options for going w/ spectralink (hard) WiFi phones but those are all client-side solutions...

Failing that, the only way *I* (who does not know everything) can think to address stuck client issues is w/ smartroam. (maybe combined w/ a high density of APs)

I do not know how to address the issue w/ stationary clients losing connectivity.
If anyone else does know how to fix that problem (and if this "force DHCP" tweak doesn't fix things) please chime in.

sid_sok
Contributor II
Hi Javier,

First I would separate your problem into two different event, one is the client constantly disconnecting even when the client is not "roaming" and two, client stop working after a roam.

For the first issue, it's kind of hard to say if the client is truly not roaming, even stationary client can "roam" between APs under the correct, or better description is under the wrong condition. You should be able to review the controller log to see if the client is truly changing APs or not.  If it is not "roaming" and you are still "disconnecting", please verify if the client is still associated but just can not pass traffic.  I have seen a few case where this was the case where client's seem to loose IP connectivity for a while and was still associated to the AP.  If this is the case 9.12MR2, which should be released soon, should fix that.

For the second issue, Bill is probably correct, it's either a sticky client issue and the client is stuck on an inappropriate AP.  The only thing that I would suggest that is different is not to use Smartroam if you have Apple OS or iOS, as they have an automatic blacklist feature where too many kick via smartroam will trigger this feature and keep the client from connecting to the wlan again for sometime.  Depending on the AP density, I would use a higher BSS minrate to ensure that the client can not hear an AP's beacon when it's too far away, this way it will be the client decision to roam if it can't hear the AP's beacon at 12 Mbps for example.  You can use BSS min rate and Smartroam at the same time but it's generally not needed.

Without any more data to go on, I would suggest two things:
1. upgrade to 9.12MR2 as soon at it comes out
2. set the wlan BSS min rate to 12

Force DHCP should should not be needed/used, it was originally designed to keep people from statically configuring a client with the same IP as the Gateway or the controller causing network issue, it was not designed to help a client roam.

Sid

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Looking forward to 9.12 MR2 then. I've got an R710 and R700 and am noticing right now that some clients after a few days will have association but no traffic flow, and that's started to result in a frustrating experience, especially for set top boxes that don't have a way to toggle wifi quickly (and instead require a full reboot).

But yes, other than that, everything that you've said matches my experience. Some clients are both sticky and intolerant to being kicked without taking that as a hint to never join the network. Or they'll repeatedly attempt to rejoin the same AP after being 
SmartRoam kicked. For those clients, bss-minrate is a more useful/powerful tool to make them un-stick.