cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC address to DEVICE-NAME table?

steve_rosen_566
New Contributor
I'm looking for some sort of way to map MAC addresses to a human readable string (like Steves-iPhone). As I collect and map MAC's I could place them in a Database, Text File, LDAP or Active Directory table. This would make the various management screens easier to track devices for the sake of debugging.

Is this possible? Has anyone done it?

Also, I'm running a ZD1000 with the "9.3.4.0 build 15" firmware.

Thanks,
18 REPLIES 18

david_stiff_578
New Contributor
Steve,

Anticipating your request we have a feature introduced in 9.4 that discovers both the host name and OS type of the device and puts this into the monitor-> clients table!

Here is a quick screen snap so you can what I'm talking about.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9...

This will not work on the zd1000, right?

Just out of curiosity, how do you actually get this information? I am trying to do something similar (developing an iPhone app), but I find it is not easy at all to retrieve the hostname let alone the OS on the device. It seems it is only possible using a combination of Bonjour, NetBIOS and UPnP. Is that what you do?

Everything depends on what version of ZD firmware you're running. AFAIK: the ZD1000 can't run the latest version. but... I posted a link to a linux script that does exactly what Steve wanted. I think it needs to be tweaked to work with 9.7 firmware but it worked perfectly with 9.6.1
Let me know if you have trouble with it.

right - ZD1000 updates stop at 9.3.4

Now if we can just get the hostname into syslog to feed to our firewall