cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

throughput issue w/ ZF 7962

christopher_sco
New Contributor II
I just stumbled on to a weird problem that's completely baffling me... I have a ZoneDirector 1000 controller and three ZoneFlex 7962 devices. One of the ZF 7962 is exhibiting very slow throughput - given that our office's connection is 100d/20u and that the other two ZF WAPs perform as expected when running speedtest.net, this third unit shows 15d/10u and I can't figure out why.

I've performed speed tests, via the ZoneDirector, to each of the units and they max out, so it doesn't appear to be a wiring issue. Even when I join my laptop to the WAP in question and I'm literally standing ten feet away from it, my performance speeds stink.

Any troubleshooting tips/recommendations?
10 REPLIES 10

christopher_sco
New Contributor II
Turned on ChannelFly just this morning; I'll give it a few days and report back.

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
If you connect to the 5G band are things just as bad?

christopher_sco
New Contributor II
So, I've been running the APs w/ ChannelFly for a week now and I'm sorry to say I'm seeing no change in the PHY errors.

It's worth saying that the units seem to perform fine (apart from the fluke that caused me to report this in the first place) - it's likely that these units have had these interfrerence issues all along but it doesn't seem to affect throughput, as far as I can tell.

Am I correct in thinking that connecting to 2.4 or 5GHZ band isn't the issue, that the reports are reflecting general interference issues?

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
The radio Athstats Histogram is a rolling 2 minute sample of RF.

If you have an AP support info file taken when your test clients are connected,
you can also analyze the client RSSI (receive signal strength indicator) and PER
(packet error rate) values. A low RSSI indicates client distance from AP and is
directly proportional to the data rate. PER indicates the client is near to a source
of interference, causing local packet drops.

A "good" client connection will have PER < 10% and RSSI - PER connection, and might result in the lowered speedflex/speednet test
results.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
The above reply was cut off by the browser/editor...

A "good" client connection will have PER < 10%, and RSSI - PER <=25.

Here is an example client connected on channel 1 on 2.4G

-- wlan0 --
ADDR AID VLAN CHAN RSSI IDLE CAPS STATE HTCAPS ADMITTEDBW
1c:ab:a7:d8:2a:ac 1Y 1 1 25 0 ESS PRIV SHTPRE QOS ERP HT PWRMGT OWL ST-PS RXSTBC 0 RSN AES AES PSK WME

STA: 1c:ab:a7:d8:2a:ac
rx_data_frm 240634 rx_mgt_frm 8592 rx_bytes 33887185 rx_dup 635 rx_wepfail 1
tx_data_frm 866347 tx_mgmt_frm 8550 tx_bytes 489598655
tx_assoc 1 tx_auth 1
good_tx_frms 874897 good_rx_frms 249226 tx_retries 293563
tx_rate 24000 tx_kbps 18023 rx_crc_errs 36299
tx_per 16 ack_rssi 21 rx_rssi 18

This client has an rx_rssi of 18, indicating a far distance from the AP, resulting in
maximum data rate of 24mb. But a PER of 16% means they are dropping packets
due to interference near the client. This PER can result in lower speedflex/speednet
test results.