cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7372 Dropping 5Ghz Signal

rich_grau
New Contributor
Had a 7372 running as a standalone for the past year, working great. Went to configure a second SSID and suddenly starting dropping 5Ghz band.

Reset unit to factory and same result. Uploaded to latest firmware and same result.

I noticed when the channel is set to "Smart Select" the unit drops off line. I have it permanently set to a particular channel at this point and seems to be working fine. Is the unit going defective or is there something I am not seeing?
8 REPLIES 8

klaus_jakobsen
New Contributor II
I am experiencing this too - also with a 7372 and latest firmware. I got it working by disabling SmartSelect (it changed the channel every 10-30 seconds and kept doing so) and setting it to a manual channel.

According to the Ruckus videos, the SmartSelect is supposed to select channels based on the traffic and not by neighbor networks - but it doesn't seem to be able to learn anything here.

It's a single AP - but I can't find any settings for this...

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Smart Select is called ChannelFly in the Ruckus literature. Indeed it operates by hopping around to find a non congested channel. The initial learning phase is a period of anywhere from an hour to a day of really quick hops (several times an hour). After this phase it does calm down but the process repeats per reboot. If you live in a non congested area you may be better off turning off ChannelFly if your clients are sensitive to it. Clients that support 802.11h channel switch announcements tend to gracefully follow the AP but it isn't always the case.

klaus_jakobsen
New Contributor II
It never settled down (waited a few hours) - but setting it to the least used channel made it work 100% OK.

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Sounds like your RF environment might be noisier than you think. I live in an apartment with around 100 rogue devices from neighbors at any given point, and ChannelFly takes about 12 hours to settle down. I've heard for others it can take a lot longer for others, on the order of a day or two.