cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZD3050 configuration for the controller and some (not all) APs on separate VLANs

kevin_chaney
New Contributor II

We have a client with two locations. The Zonedirector and
many APs are at the main location, about 23 APs are at the secondary location. Currently, there is a dedicated ethernet circuit between the two sites. We are changing the connection to two separate internet connections with an SDWAN connecting them. Currently, the ZD and the APs are on the same VLAN (VLAN 1). We have to put the secondary site devices on VLANs that do not duplicate the VLANs at the primary site due to the connection type. Now, we are trying to figure out the correct configuration to get the secondary site APs to be on the separate VLAN (VLAN 200) and still work with the ZD at the main site. We have cisco switches at both locations (currently all APs are plugged into trunk ports) and meraki firewalls will be providing the new SDWAN connection. But as of right now (even with the still flat network) I cannot even get the secondary sight APs to communicate with the Zone Director when I move them to a new VLAN. We have tried numerous different settings in the AP policies and on the cisco switch ports.
11 REPLIES 11

victor_cenac
Contributor
Also don't forget to set the management vlan in ZD, under Access Points / Management VLAN to Keep AP's setting

But I also have APs at the primary site on VLAN 1, which is set as the management VLAN. I cannot set two separate management VLANs, correct?

As I commented above - it is best to use the native/untagged vlan for AP management and leave the ZD Configure AP setting to "keep AP settings" so the AP's do not tag management traffic.  You can configure the switch ports native/untagged VLAN to put this traffic into any specific VLAN for your network without having the complication of managing AP's to tag this traffic.

Yes, that is why, if you use tagged management VLANs, the APs at the far site will have to be set by hand to use VLAN 200. Or maybe you can change the VLAN 200 in the switch to be the native one, untagged, in which case, it really doesn't matter. The AP can think it's suing VLAN 1, as long as it is untagged, it will work the same.

kevin_chaney
New Contributor II
going to try adding DHCP option 43 with the ZD IP on VLAN 200 and make the switchport of one of the APs native VLAN 200 and see if that works.