What is the diameter covered (without obstacles) of an R510 and R310D

How far does the R310S reach?

How far does the R310N reach?

I need to know how far these reach to plan and avoid overlap please advise

3 REPLIES 3

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor

Hi Christina,

When planning Wi-Fi signal coverage and propogation, it's very rarely about the AP and more to do with the client.

APs can 'hear' each other hundreds of metres away as they have more powerful and sensitive radios and antennas with high gain.  However client devices tend to be low-power transmitters (due to being battery powered) and much less sensitive radios due to having tiny antennas that are often surrounded by shielding and a screen (in the instance of a mobile phone).

Of course there are lots of other variables such as 2.4 or 5GHz, TX power, height above the ground, orientation, local interference, required RSSI/ SNR, etc. etc.

I would recommend using an RF planning tool such as Ekahau to plan your network and understand the marked difference in signal reception between handheld clients and laptops, etc.

I hope that helps,
Darrel.

john_d
Valued Contributor II

I don't believe there's a D/S/N version of the R310 (indoor AP) -- do you mean the T310? Are you trying to cover an indoor or outdoor area, or both?

Note that with outdoor deployments, the ambient noise level and the reduced number of outdoor 5GHz channels can really raise the noise floor and reduce your SNR. Or you could have a really quiet outdoor environment where these outdoor APs provide a ton of range.

As Darrel said, I think you're best off starting with a site survey. Ideally, getting these answers using an evaluation AP of each model of interest. For indoor and omnidirectional APs, you can generally use any AP to understand the general RF characteristics of your environment. I do find in general, Ruckus BeamFlex results in better coverage and better range than typical omnidirectional competitors, but in my experience it's also not magical enough to save you from worrying about dead zones and real world coverage issues due to terrain. It's best to use the extra power of the Ruckus APs as an icing on the cake, delivering higher than expected SNR and MCS rates to clients.

Otherwise, as Darrel mentioned as well, having a problematic type of client (particularly non-popular smartphones and IoT or barcode scanner type devices with terrible antenna designs) could lead to a situation where a fancy expensive laptop gets coverage in an area but those devices don't.

christinaB
New Contributor

I would like to know the specs on those devices in an ideal environment and I can't see to find it on the internet.  I'm not troubleshooting yet I'm just trying to figure out best placement with about 15% overlap.  I need to know the distances of each please.  And yes I meant T310s thank you