cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does log mean?(channel-wifi1: Pausing 10 minutes (DFS related))

hyomoon_kim
New Contributor

Hi all,

What does log mean?(channel-wifi1: Pausing 10 minutes (DFS related))

I heard that it takes about 10 minutes to broadcast SSID in the 5GHz band, so I checked the support log.

Apr 27 02:27:55 2819 daemon.info channel-wifi1: Found 24 valid channels
Apr 27 02:27:55 2819 daemon.info channel-wifi1: Pausing 10 minutes (DFS related)
Apr 27 02:27:55 2819 daemon.info channel-wifi1: Pausing 1 minute (target VAP wait related) for fc:5c:45:21:86:2c

I understand that it is a log related to the DFS channel, but I don't know exactly what it means.

Does anyone know?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

sanjay_kumar
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi @hyomoon_kim 

DFS is (Dynamic Frequency Selection) in 5GHz Wi-Fi frequencies that are generally reserved for radar, such as military radar, satellite communication, and weather radar. The DFS channels vary from country to country. The main benefit to use DFS channels in AP is to increase the number of Wi-Fi channels.

If the AP is already operating on DFS channel then it will monitor the current channel for radar signals continuously. If the AP detects any radar on the DFS channel, the AP will mute that channel (for a period of time) and will not pass client traffic or the client connection.

The log indicates the same that it is detecting the Radar signal on the channel and it is muting the channel.

You can select any NON-DFS channel or uncheck the DFS channel AP is using.

Hi Sanjay,

Thank you. That was very helpful.

Have a nice day!