cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSZ-H for SSID Tunneling

ali_db0udsohr2q
Contributor
I know that if I have VSZ-E and VSZ-D I can setup tunneled SSID's from the branch locations back to the Data Center.

What I am trying to see is is VSZ-D an absolute must requirement?  Because all the tunneling options seem to be available in VSZ-H can I accomplish the same without buying VSZ-D?

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
Hi Ali,

Yes, you need either vSZ-D or SZ100-D (appliance version of vSZ-D using SZ100 hardware).
The vSZ-H controller only manages the AP's over an SSH tunnel to each AP.  The vSZ-H never handles  data traffic.

When configuring an SSID/WLAN to tunnel traffic the AP will actually have 2 tunnels - SSH (port 22) from AP to vSZ-H controller for configuration and management of the AP and then a Ruckus GRE (rgre) tunnel from AP to vSZ-D data plane.  All client device traffic will be transparently tunneled to the vSZ-D and egress onto the network where the vSZ-D is located.  If you configure WLAN to use VLAN tags (or Dynamic VLAN's) then the traffic will egress the vSZ-D tagged as configured so the Switch port connecting to the vSZ-D for data traffic needs to handle those VLAN's (tagged ingress).  There is no need to have those VLAN's on the AP switch network

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks

Albert

ali_db0udsohr2q
Contributor
Got it thanks so much.  On the VLAN tagging I meant the vSZ-D side.  Do I need to actually specify the VLANs?  Can I not just allow all?

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
Hi Ali,

No VLAN is not needed... if you do not specify a VLAN in  the WLAN configuration then the traffic will egress the vSZ-D data plane untagged (into the native/untagged VLAN where the vDP is connected).

cheers

Albert

ali_db0udsohr2q
Contributor
Awesome thanks so much for the information and confirming/elaborating.