cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Ruckus AP on remote site

bicky_budha
New Contributor III

Hi, We have Ruckus vSZ with R510 AP on main site. We have a school play field few miles away. Over there we have business broadband connection with ISP supplied router that has built-in WiFi. Users visiting there use WPA key to connect to the WiFi to use the internet.

Is there a way I can use the Ruckus AP over there to connect to the vSZ on the main site?

Can I connect Ruckus AP over the internet to connect to the main site vSZ?

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

Hi Bicky,

Yes, you can do this leveraging Ruckus GRE tunnelling. This feature is built-in to SmartZone OS and doesn't require an additional license.

However, as you have vSZ, which does not have a data-plane (hardware SZ has data-plane built-in); you will need either vSZ-D (VM-based dataplane) or SZ-144D (hardware dataplane).  The dataplane is the termination point for the Ruckus GRE tunnels created by your APs on remote sites.

There are further details in the Tunnelling Guide here: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/1334-tunneling-configuration-guide-enterprise

Hope that helps,
Darrel.

As I see the tunneling or dataplane is not needed in this case, they need only control, data is bridged into a local Router ?  Ruckus provides also Virtual Dataplane software, this does not depend on AP count, so not very expensive license till 1 Gbps data throughput limit. 

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Bicky,

As long as AP can reach vSZ's control plane IP (for remote site, you have to use a site to site VPN or public IP should be configured on vSZ's Control NAT settings), you can connect the AP from any site.

List of ports which should be allowed in the network path (on firewall/router/gateway) can be found on below link.

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/sz-600-adminguide-sz100vsz/page/GUID-078C00BE-7543-4439-9326-F6509...

Note: vSZ-Dataplane (vDP) is only required if you want to tunnel the user traffic from remote site to main site. If you just need to bridge the traffic, vDP is not required.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn